Thread: Ascend and Yamaha receiver?

Tom, I run an Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver and am pleased with it. Many folks run Onkyo, Denon, as well as H/K with favorable results. (By the way I envy you getting a Hsu VTF-3 MKII - let us know what you think of it!)

Consider an Outlaw 1050. A little dated but a solid performer with the 170's.

picasso_04901@yahoo.com

The Outlaw 1050 was recently discontinued.

"Personally I think the Ascends might neutralise the "brightness" in the yamaha receiver,somewhat."

The Ascends are very neutral and flat which make them fairly revealing of the front end IMO. I'm not sure they'd tame brightness since their strong point is NOT coloring sound. Have you listened to the Yammy or are you going by the net as to its brightness?

Hi Quinn,

I'm just going by the net, it seems to be regarded as one of the brightest receivers. Doesn't necessarily mean it's annoyingly bright though, and I do want it somewhat clear (I don't want a heavy veil over the dialogue, for instance), so I'm thinking the match could be pretty good.

I'm thinking of trying to get a deal at a B&M store (but they have to go way under msrp), and then I can test it out whether I like it or not with the Ascends.

I will post my experiences with the VTF3mk2, as well as the receivers I try/buy!

Thanks

-Tom

I think "Yamahas are bright" isn't true of the present generation. Definately listen and decide for yourself. If you aleady own the Ascends take them to the dealer for the trial.

I have been living with the RXV-1400 hooked up to Ascend system 22-2001 for about six weeks now and really like the sound. I'm afraid I'm gonna get hooked on those "newfangled" super audio cds as well!

mokemo,

Welcome to the forum! SACD's are great...but don't forget DVD-A's!

-curtis

mokemo, glad to hear someone have the ascend/yammie combo, and liking it!

Personally, I have to hold off buying a sacd/dvaudio player, the mrs would not be thrilled if I spend more money(I think I'll spend a total of 2400 this round, and that is way over budget