Thread: Panny XR57 Comparo with HK247

Default Panny XR57 Comparo with HK247

Hi Guys:
    Just wanted to give you a brief update on XR57 comparison to HK247. I got my HK yesterday so I immediately hooked it up to 340s. (still waiting for Sierras). Before Panny I had Sony and xr57 was head and shoulders above Sony for sure. But yesterday's test really opened my eyes/ears and I'm off of Panny Bandwagon. I played Concord SACD sampler, Crash from DMB, and a few tracks from 'Kind of Blue' on HK. It's difficult to describe in words but I would say that the sound had more body to it. The Trumpet and Saxophone sounded a lot better on HK. (disclaimer - I'm not a musician). Although HK is only 50 watts per channel, it really filled up my room very well and I have a large room with a lot of openings. I did not feel that I lost any details on HK. I use Crash quite a lot to hear details which were lost on me before 340s.

I moved my Panny to the bedroom. Sweet thing about the whole thing was HK costed me less than xr57 thru EPP. I'm wondering what the result would be with Sierra-1. I'm going to get those On Tuesday.

How is yor CD/DVD player hooked up to the XR57? What are your impressions for movies?
    Last edited by Grayson73; 05-25-2007 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    How is yor CD/DVD player hooked up to the XR57? What are your impressions for movies?
    My CD/DVD player is hooked up via HDMI. I was told not to go Analog with xr57. Even with HK, it is hooked up via HDMI. The movies were great with panny. I saw a couple of chapters from Saving Private Ryan last night with HK and it impressed me as well.

I forgot to mention one important thing about the comparison. With Panny, all the speakers were crossed over at 80. With HK, I crossed the Front stage at 60 and the surrounds(HTM-200) were crossed at 80.

50 watts should be plenty of power for the 340s. You listened to one of the all-time classics, Miles Davis, "Kind of Blue",1959, just wonderful. It is amazing how well the sound, and atmosphere, on this recording has been preserved. Nice going.