Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-1 Update

Default An article on maintaining high gloss piano finish

Thanks Abhi, I did'nt realize that much maintenance would be needed. Carefull consideration should be given to the long term beauty,of this finish. Thanks

The best polishing cloth is a cloth diaper!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Hi Jvillas,

Thanks for the kind words... Yes, selling B-stock absolutely hurts the bottom-line. Truth is I am confident we could sell these as A-stock but I just don't feel right doing so.

We are presently negotiating with an expert piano repairman who looked at these and assured me that he could easily buff out the scratches (they are surface only).

I would say the natural finish is even more durable than our black matte finish. A little funiture polish or murphy's oil and wow -- good as new. I had a unit sitting outdoors for at least 2-years. We polished it up with a good furniture oil and it looks as good as new. Remarkable actually...

Any piano-black finish is high maintenance... It looks stunning but needs to be handled with great care. Hairline scratches are inevitable. The pair I had at home looked incredible and I thought I took immaculate care of them -- when I brought them into the office under direct fluorescent lighting, those tiny scratches caused by remote controls, empty cups, CD cases etc. become quite noticeable.

I am just happy that we are finally shipping and the performance and component quality is spot on. This is a difficult task as we are relying on many different vendors from all over the world.

Thanks for all the support!
    I had the good fortune of picking up the piano black Sierra-1's (LCR) this past Thursday with the B Stock discount. I went home and briefly glanced at them (more to see the scale and the construction than to look for these hair lines). I just pulled them out again to look for any lines and couldn't find any.

David - these could have sold A Stock and if you hadn't mentioned it, I doubt many people would have noticed. Even though you've already mentioned it, it's difficult for me to find them. They are beautiful...

Now, I'm going to hook them up in my bedroom until my family room is ready (late next week). My pre/pro + amp combo did not arrive as scheduled so I will rely on my very old HK AVR25 to drive the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by debo
    The best polishing cloth is a cloth diaper!
    Actually, I don't recommend a cloth diaper. The very best polishing cloth for the piano black finish is a micro-fiber detailing rag. Available from nearly any automotive parts store.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sangone
    David - these could have sold A Stock and if you hadn't mentioned it, I doubt many people would have noticed. Even though you've already mentioned it, it's difficult for me to find them. They are beautiful...
    Thank you!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

i'd also recommend musical instrument stores for a good selection of microfiber cloths etc for pianos.

Actually, I don't recommend a cloth diaper. The very best polishing cloth for the piano black finish is a micro-fiber detailing rag. Available from nearly any automotive parts store.
    I got a stack of them from Costco a ways back.
    -curtis

Plus, cloth diapers are not created equal. Some are more abrasive than others (esp. the single layer ones).

As a detail enthusiast, I have to say I was going to say the same thing...
    Jon O.