Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Sierras, thumbs up up up up up!!!!

Good luck on the bamboo Veneer way..

Bamboo ISN'T wood, it is grass, and is cut, dried, and pressed (with glue)on a machine.

I've used it, and ya probably better off just going to a Floor dealer, and seeing if they have any long enough cutoffs for stands, and using a finetooth table saw(or better yet, have someone with a CNC cut it for you) to cutoff the tongue/groove.
    And then using Bosticks Best(the BEST floor Glue- about $150 for 5 gallons, IF you can even find it) flooring glue to glue it together(with clamps).
    You can probably use other glue and clamp, but Bosticks is the ballz.....

Isn't as EZ as it sounds when dealing with Bamboo, that much I know for certain.

BTW- For folks that are looking to match the color of the Sierras(IF they are the same color as MY Vertical carbonized Bamboo floor), I have what I feel is a good match...
    Plain Red Oak, with 2 coats of Matte/Satin Poly.....

Thats it.

I have pics of my vertical carbonized bamboo floor,and I used The afforementioned threshold(OBVIOUSLY the grain isn't the exact same, but the color is very close IMO).

LMK if ya need to see them.

Actually,Curtis could you host the pics of my threshold?
    Last edited by muzz; 06-03-2007 at 09:13 PM.

Yup...they should show up here sometime soon...I hope.

http://changpics.smugmug.com/gallery/2938302#P-2-15
    -curtis

Thx bro

I realise my color match puddy is awful.......
    One of these days I'll fix that!!
    Last edited by muzz; 06-03-2007 at 10:05 PM.

This thread's been kind of quiet lately, so I thought I would post my week 1 impressions. I received my speakers a week ago and have pumped at least 20 hours of music through them as well as a couple of movies and regular TV viewing. I'm happy to report that they mesh well enough with my Paradigm center and surrounds for TV and 5.1. But, my real goal for these was for 2.1 music and for this they are fabulous. I've really been enjoying the imaging and sound quality that these speakers produce. Even less than stellar recordings like Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother sound better than ever before. So, if you were hoping for a pair of b-stock returned naturals, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Oh, and in case anyone cares, I have them on Omnimount Cosmic 24" stands. These stands have a "brushed" silver post and black base which matches well with my Sony LCD RPTV silver and matte black detail. They are a bit top heavy with the Sierras on them - even with the post filled with fish gravel. But, in my layout there's really no danger of someone bumping into them causing them to topple over.

Mitch

I don't feel I can say enough about them. IMO, an outstanding speaker compared to what I have heard.

They simply need to be heard and compared.
    -curtis

Well, while I'm waiting here for the sierras to arrive(may be a while since it probably won't be till next week) I figured I'd register and post.

I wanted to buy my dad a set of bookshelves as a gift. He likes music but he's not insane about it like me. So my original budget was to keep the speakers between 3 and 4 hundred dollars. But with amp and everything I wanted to keep it under 800.

I was reading around on avs about 2 months ago and started thinking about getting some bookshelves from a certain company there that has a pretty big presence. After reading a while I came to the realization that Dave F. handled himself in one manner and lets just say other people from other companies handled themselves in another manner.

This made me want to look into ascend more fully. I originally was looking into getting the cbm 170 se but I'm really glad I waited now because after reading all of the wonderful things being said about the sierras I just had to order a pair.

I ordered monday and there were cable issues so my order got revised on tuesday. No word yet on when they will be sent out but I live in an area that takes 5 days for them to get here. So needless to say I'm very anxious esspecially since I have this week off and the next, and was hoping to give them a thorough listen before giving them to my dad.

Heres hoping they arrive soon!

Hehe, I bet you'll be picking up a couple of speakers from Best Buy to give your dad after you listen to the Sierras.

Mitch

When you ordered them, did they say weither or not they received their order of tweeters?

hmm...I wonder if there is going to be a fathers day special? lol.

Your mentioning of the tweeters is the first I've heard about it. You mean there is a back-log on parts?

DANG.
    Last edited by tanaka; 06-08-2007 at 02:45 PM.