Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Sierras, thumbs up up up up up!!!!

Well the speaker fairy left a couple of natural Sierras on my porch today.

My system (5.1) as of yesterday consisted of Paradigm Atoms all around with the matching Paradigm C-170 center and an SVS 25-31 PC+ (tuned to 20Hz - equalized with a BFD) driven by a Yamaha receiver.

Over the past 9 months or so, I've been poking around looking to see if I could find a replacement for the Atoms mains that would fit in (well enough) with the rest of the system for 5.1 movies and still provide a step up for 2.1 channel music listening without breaking the bank.

I was seriously considering the 340SEs and I even convinced a fellow Napervillian to let me into his house to listen to his. I found them to be too bright (or something) for my tastes. (This coming from a guy with Paradigms being driven by a Yammie!). Regardless, they just didn't work for me.

I also listened very briefly to some Monitor Audio Silver RS-6 (?) and Bronze B-4s, iirc. I found them a bit too harsh for my tastes. I also checked out the new Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers. They were way too harsh. And, I auditioned some PSB T-55s in my home for a long weekend. They sounded nice, but as a floorstander they were a bit too big for my room and they didn't provide enough of a sound upgrade to justify buying them. The bottom line for me at this point was that I found, for the money, the Atoms really worked for me and so I kind of put the upgrade idea on the shelf.

Then, these Sierras came out and I really liked what I read about them. I also really liked how they weren't announced until they were ready to be ordered. It reaffirmed my generally good feelings about Ascend as a company.

So, rather impulsively - for me anyway, I ordered a pair. I figured even if I decide to send them back, it'll only cost me about $2/day in shipping costs to trial them in my home.

The early exit polls are good. But, I haven't had a chance to do any real critical listening yet. Once I do, I'll bore you further with my thoughts.

Mitch

Set them to large and shut off the sub.....
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Set them to large and shut off the sub.....

hey curtis... do the sierras deliver that well in the bass department? the svs subs are no slouches... do you think getting the sierras across the front means i may not have to buy a subwoofer? that'd be great because i kind of think subs are big/ugly... not to mention $500 and up for a good one from Hsu or SVS.

Quote Originally Posted by steveklein
    hey curtis... do the sierras deliver that well in the bass department? the svs subs are no slouches... do you think getting the sierras across the front means i may not have to buy a subwoofer? that'd be great because i kind of think subs are big/ugly... not to mention $500 and up for a good one from Hsu or SVS.
    It depends on what ya need, if Home Theater is your bag, then in no way should you be without a sub...... for stereo listening? I THINK he's stating that Ya really don't NEED a sub.
    I guess the Articulation of the Sierras is so good, that a mediocre sub(even a good sub for that matter), is a bit muddy in comparison for music..........

Maybe I'm wrong, but thats what it seems like to me.

HTH
    Last edited by muzz; 05-31-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Muzz hit it. It is going to take a nice sub to match the Sierra's articulation. Then it is pretty specific music that has much content below 40Hz.

Now then the Sierras are not bumped up in bass but balanced top to bottom. If you like your bass to be a tad above everything else you'll want a different speaker or a sub.
    Last edited by Quinn; 05-31-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    Muzz hit it. It is going to take a nice sub to match the Sierra's articulation. Then it is pretty specific music that has much content below 40Hz.
    Like the bamboo ryhtmic I've been planning ( for months) to build?

hehehehe

Thumbs up

Last Sunday (05-27-07) I was able to drive up to Curtis’ place to get a listen to the Sierra-1’s. I brought over a pair of 340 classics to do some comparing, and I was pleasantly surprised with all aspects of my listening experience. The 340 classics are great speakers and they’ve served me well over these past few years, but the Sierra’s are obviously the next step in the evolution of Ascend Acoustic speakers.

I’ve always felt that the 340 classics were missing a little bit of “punch” on the lower end of the spectrum, but it’s never really hindered my listening experience since I use a PC-Ultra to complement my setup. While at Curtis’ place I spent a couple hours playing music that I was very familiar with and I was first blown away by how full sounding the Sierra’s sounded without the use of a subwoofer. They were crisp, clean, and accurate sounding through and through.

As my audition continued it became more and more apparent how clear sounding these speakers really were. Not to sound cliché, but I found myself hearing things I had never heard before in my music. These subtle details brought me back to what it was like the first time I heard great sounds from the 170s and 340s. Ascend Acoustics is constantly raising the bar on the products they deliver. I left Curtis’ eager and anxious to get a set of Sierra’s for myself.

Yesterday evening I swapped out my 340s for some B-stock Sierra L/C/R from James. I raced home to set them up and see how they would sound in my room’s layout. The clarity was just as awesome as I recalled from my listening experience on Sunday and I couldn’t be happier. They look great, and they sound great! What else could I ask for?

Wink

God Johnal, your killing me!!

I'm listening to Nora right now, daydreaming about my Sierras that won't be here until next Wednesday!!

You just ruined my high, I hope your happy!!

all I made Johnal do was clean the bathrooms!

He brought over some music that I do not normally listen to....gave the Sierras a good workout.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Johnal
    Last Sunday (05-27-07) I was able to drive up to Curtis’ place to get a listen to the Sierra-1’s. I brought over a pair of 340 classics to do some comparing, and I was pleasantly surprised with all aspects of my listening experience. The 340 classics are great speakers and they’ve served me well over these past few years, but the Sierra’s are obviously the next step in the evolution of Ascend Acoustic speakers.
    I’ve always felt that the 340 classics were missing a little bit of “punch” on the lower end of the spectrum, but it’s never really hindered my listening experience since I use a PC-Ultra to complement my setup. While at Curtis’ place I spent a couple hours playing music that I was very familiar with and I was first blown away by how full sounding the Sierra’s sounded without the use of a subwoofer. They were crisp, clean, and accurate sounding through and through.
    As my audition continued it became more and more apparent how clear sounding these speakers really were. Not to sound cliché, but I found myself hearing things I had never heard before in my music. These subtle details brought me back to what it was like the first time I heard great sounds from the 170s and 340s. Ascend Acoustics is constantly raising the bar on the products they deliver. I left Curtis’ eager and anxious to get a set of Sierra’s for myself.
    lol, I think you were the guy who showed up as my wife and I were leaving Curtis's place Sunday. I am the super tall guy with the short blond.

As for my experience, The Sierra's are very close to the sound quality of my pro speakers. I was able to hear all the same details, instruments sounded like real instruments, and voices sounded like voices. We auditioned alot of speakers up to $2400/ea, and you'd be suprised at how often most fail at properly reproducing various instruments and voices. The one area the Sierra's surpassed my speakers is in imaging / soundstage, the fact that they are timber matched, and about 1/5th the size. Also, The WAF is exceptional. My pro speakers had a leg up though when it came to the low end, and overall db. They have single 12" woofers, except for my center which has 2.

Overall I am pleased with them, and about ready to pull the trigger. My wife and I want to hear the RBH MC-6C, and JBLpro LSR4300 1st though. Which will be this Sat.

Is there any more b-stock left or are they all sold out?