Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierras, thumbs up up up up up!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    That's why we are waiting for Dave's Reference Bamboo Sub, or RBS-1!

As a side note, I did see a bamboo-coned woofer in the latest Parts Express catalog.

hehe, BamBoom.

Quote Originally Posted by dallas
    hehe, BamBoom.
    that's a good one!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    that's a good one!

thanx. Your welcome to use my lame puns at parties and call it your own

It's outside the "mountain" theme though of ascend. He'll probably call it something like "Fault line' or "Avalanche". Maybe an asian translation for paying homage to the bamboo.

Default 340 center with sierra fronts?

hey guys... to those of you lucky enough to have used both the 340SE and the sierras, i have a question.

i know that many people consider the center channel to be the most important channel in a 5.1 setup, so i have to ask this...

would using a pair of sierra 1's for fronts and a 340SE center sound work better or worse than just using 340SE's across the whole front? the reason i ask is it will be virtually impossible for me to use a sierra center because i am resting an lcd tv on top of the center channel speaker and the tv's footprint is too large for the sierra (but fits nicely with the 340SE).

i just wonder if i would be better off having 3 identical 340SE's across the front.

for what it's worth, i'll be using a pair of HTM-200s for surround duty.

Quote Originally Posted by steveklein
    hey guys... to those of you lucky enough to have used both the 340SE and the sierras, i have a question.

i know that many people consider the center channel to be the most important channel in a 5.1 setup, so i have to ask this...

would using a pair of sierra 1's for fronts and a 340SE center sound work better or worse than just using 340SE's across the whole front? the reason i ask is it will be virtually impossible for me to use a sierra center because i am resting an lcd tv on top of the center channel speaker and the tv's footprint is too large for the sierra (but fits nicely with the 340SE).

i just wonder if i would be better off having 3 identical 340SE's across the front.

for what it's worth, i'll be using a pair of HTM-200s for surround duty.
    I haven't used both, but likely the answer will be 3 340's will be better for movies and multi channel music, and the 2 S-1's and 1 240 will be better if/when you listen to 2 channel music.

I am wrestling with that very issue myself. I have a new 32" LCD set still in the box. My old 20" CRT allowed me to rest the center directly on top of it. If I keep my current center, it may be large enough to support it, but I really don't like the center to be lower than the other speakers, so I am considering building a stand that will put the center directly above the set.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I like BamBoom a lot! I think Avalanche has been done by a driver builder. If he is sticking to SoCal inspirations I like San Andreas in the same vein as Fault Line.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    I like BamBoom a lot! I think Avalanche has been done by a driver builder. If he is sticking to SoCal inspirations I like San Andreas in the same vein as Fault Line.
    Grand Theft Auto may sue over that one.

Quote Originally Posted by dallas
    Grand Theft Auto may sue over that one.
    Shows how old I am, or that my kids are girls, that I had to google Grand Theft Auto to find out what it is. But if San Andreas isn't a subwoofer in that game I don't see an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    Shows how old I am, or that my kids are girls, that I had to google Grand Theft Auto to find out what it is. But if San Andreas isn't a subwoofer in that game I don't see an issue.

ya, that game is probably the best known modern game. 1 because it's good, but even more so because the media uses it as the symbol for video game violence and politicians try to ban/regulate it.

New york's mayor even came out against the new version which takes place in new york. He has issues with a game involving violence, but not the 15 Law and Orders on daily showing 2 murders/rapes/etc per episode or CSI or any other number of shows/movies that show criminals in new york.

sorry, back on topic.