Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierras, thumbs up up up up up!!!!

My observations are kind of all over the place so far. It has been a busy day without much sit down critical listening. Demanding detailed pieces are where, to me, the Sierras shine. Remember when you got your Ascends and went through all your music again rediscovering it and all the things you never heard before on familiar discs? That is what it is like for detailed demanding pieces. Then for simple stuff the imaging, sound stage, and bass are what you notice most. But, then I played some of the Jewel concert, just her and her guitar for the most part, I have in HD on the DVR and it was like holy crap that was amazing compared to listening to it just 2 or 3 nights ago on the 340s.

The Fairfield Four's Standing in the Safety Zone was the disc that impressed me the most today for what the Sierra can do. The four part harmonies had more separation of the individual voices and the depth of the timbre, that I had not been hearing before, was captivating on the Sierras.

Oh and the Sierras can play LOUD with no strain. I started to worry if I was going to run into clipping.
    Last edited by Quinn; 05-29-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    But, then I played some of the Jewel concert, her just her and her guitar for the most part, I have in HD on the DVR and it was like holy crap that was amazing compared to listening to it just 2 or 3 nights ago on the 340s.
    good choice. i've been a big fan of jewel for a while now, and when i got my ascends it made her that much sweeter to listen to. her solo acoustic stuff is definitely the best to listen to.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Remember when you got your Ascends and went through all your music again rediscovering it and all the things you never heard before on familiar discs?
    Yup! I even bought a bunch of new stuff from Amazon!
    -curtis

The Sierras are really good. The timbre/tone of instruments and voices that I hadn't been hearing before is pretty amazing. The attack and decay is very good and very smooth. One thing I have noticed is there is no note hang over meaning when a note ends that is it, there is no fade away. I'm guessing this is where the bamboo cabinet comes into play.

I heard a lot of more expensive speakers at CES this year that I feel the Sierras are better than.

The Sierras are a lot more revealing than the SE but yet they are a good bit smoother and a more relaxed presentation. I've listened to a few familiar pieces that suddenly weren't that familiar with the extra details the tone and timbre being revealed. Buena Vista Social Club comes to mind.

I'm also really impressed with strings. Cellos and standing bass are so good on the Sierras.

Oh, and the Sierras just beg to be cranked up!
    Last edited by Quinn; 05-31-2007 at 08:15 AM.

OK, I do have a complaint about the Sierras. My VTF-2's bass now sounds bloated to me. I guess it will now only be on for movies.

OK, I do have a complaint about the Sierras. My VTF-2's bass now sounds bloated to me. I guess it will now only be on for movies.
    Do you think my UFW-10 will be ok to use with mine? Man....I cannot wait to hook up my Sierras. Next week sometime
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    Do you think my UFW-10 will be ok to use with mine? Man....I cannot wait to hook up my Sierras. Next week sometime
    I'm a fan of the UFW-10. Let me know how the combo is for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    I don't think there will be much difference in using the UFW-10 with the Sierra in regards to music...just a bit more extension. Most of the stuff I remember reading has the UFW-10 rolling off around 30hz, with the Sierra getting down to 40hz in-room, you are just getting another half octave of extension.

The issue that I have with my VTF-3MK3 is the slight loss of punch and texture/definition when I use it...but it definitely has more extension when called for. I currently have them crossed at 60hz.

If I had a more tweakable pre/pro, like an Anthem, I think I would set it up to do music with no sub, and movies/TV with a sub.
    -curtis

That's why we are waiting for Dave's Reference Bamboo Sub, or RBS-1!

As a side note, I did see a bamboo-coned woofer in the latest Parts Express catalog.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables