Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierras, thumbs up up up up up!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gov
    Curtis,

I am really interested in your opinion crossing the Sierra's at 80hz (small) with a sub for music and movies. I am wondering just how much better (if at all) they are compared to the 340SE's in that roll.
    Agreed, it would be very interesting indeed. Theoretically, they should still sound cleaner, of course, but the question is whether their dynamics will be noticeably superior in this common configuration. Generally speaking, crossing over at a higher frequency may seem like a waste of the Sierra-1's frequency range, but even much larger floor-standing speakers can benefit from the reduced load.

By the way, yet another issue concerning the selection of an ideal crossover point for 5.1 audio is the interaction between the bass in the main channels and the LFE channel with respect to phase. Any time different filters are used on multiple channels to derive a single combined channel (i.e. the subwoofer pre-out), there is a strong possibility of phase cancellation due to all of the disparate phase shifting going on. This issue is well known in the industry, and mixers will take it into consideration when they determine what to put in the LFE channel, but as far as I'm aware, they only monitor the end result when crossed over at 80 Hz (the de facto industry standard). Crossing over at any other frequency can result in some unpredictable amount of bass cancellation, which while probably not severe or even noticeable in most cases, is still less than ideal. And crossing over at more than one frequency--particularly within the front stage--can introduce even more arbitrary cancellation at the electronic level.

I did integrate the sub last night with a 60hz crossover. The integration was easy, and there seems to be a trade off in bass definition, with the Sierras alone seeming to be a bit better in this regard. Of course, with the sub, you get more of the deep material if it is there.

I will play around with sub integration and crossover points over the long weekend.

If I had a more flexible pre/pro, I would set it up to play 2 channel music through the Sierras fullrange, no sub, and for TV/movies to use the sub.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I did integrate the sub last night with a 60hz crossover. The integration was easy, and there seems to be a trade off in bass definition, with the Sierras alone seeming to be a bit better in this regard. Of course, with the sub, you get more of the deep material if it is there.
    It's hard to tell exactly what's happening because reproducing deeper bass can often make everything sound a bit less defined or "tight," especially if it excites a room mode with slow decay.

I will play around with sub integration and crossover points over the long weekend.
    I'll try to do some additional pointed research and experimentation myself (albeit not with Sierra-1s) to make sure our understanding is accurate, and get a more detailed picture of how movie soundtracks are actually mixed.

If I had a more flexible pre/pro, I would set it up to play 2 channel music through the Sierras fullrange, no sub, and for TV/movies to use the sub.
    That would be nice, but if you have a remote with macro capability, you could hopefully be able to switch configurations at the touch of a button, I would think.

Yeah...I have a Home Theater Master MX-700 and have a couple of macros setup. The problem is if for some reason the remote controlled devices do not pick up the signal, because then you are kind of screwed....the macro may do somethng very different to the configuration.
    -curtis

Last night I watched "Blood Diamonds" with the new Sierras. The center does a fabulous job. Like all great centers, the dialouge was clear and inteligible....and never once did I feel like I was listening to a center channel. The blend with the left and right was a seamless soundstage.

I also listenned to a lot of music yesterday and this morning. The imaging is very precise(at least compared to what I have heard), instruments and voices are seperated and put in their spots across the stage.....but also in depth. Nothing emphasized unless called for.
    -curtis

Thumbs up

Great to hear that Curtis.... I can't wait to receive mine!!

Curtis,

Did you have to do a lot of tweaking to the placement of the Sierra's to get the imaging and soundstage that you've described?

Quote Originally Posted by spunky721
    Curtis,

Did you have to do a lot of tweaking to the placement of the Sierra's to get the imaging and soundstage that you've described?
    I have not done anything in regards to that. They are in the same exact place where I had the 340's.
    -curtis

You know, another thing I've noticed about the Sierras is how well they reproduce horned instruments. I'm just listening to Pink Floyd's Money and there is a loud horn solo. With many speakers, including my previous Ascends, the horns have a tendency to sound bright and harsh. And I always felt like turning the volume down. Not so with the Sierras. Loud and clear, but not harsh at all.

I never felt horns were harsh with my previous Ascends.....felt they were very accurate and realistic.
    -curtis