Thread: CBM-170SE, nearfield listening and close-to-wall placement

Default CBM-170SE, nearfield listening and close-to-wall placement

Hello all,

Several months ago I got an idea to replace my computer audio with something better. Currently I have standard PC speakers Logitech Z-680. The next step up will be some basic receiver with real speakers (a 5.1 setup). After months of reading various reviews and forums I am 90% biased towards Ascend Acoustics' CBM-170 SE (as fronts and rears) and a CMT-340 SE center speaker. I will choose and buy a subwoofer later.

What will I listen to? I will use it as computer speakers, therefore they will be used for watching movies, listening to music and playing games.

The problem is my room, which is very small. Dimensions of the room are as follows: 4,1 × 2,86 × 2,63 meter (around 13,45 × 9,38 × 8,62 feet) which translates to 30,83 m^3 (~ 1089 cubic feet) of volume. Due to this my speakers will be very close to wall and I myself will be close to speakers. Here are my questions:

1) Can be these Ascends used for nearfield listening? By nearfield I mean, that my head will be around 1 meter (or 3,3 feet) from front speakers and a little less from center speakers. I have read several posts where users commented it is OK, another user told me, that they are efficient and play loud and I can get a headache or hearing injury if listening at loud volume for long time (I don't know how it was meant, from my point of view I will just turn the volume down and the problem is solved).

2) How will they perform when placed close to the wall? They will be placed like 10 cm (~ 4 inches) from wall. Will this hurt the sound a lot? Once I borrowed Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers, placed them where the Ascends will be, but I didn't hear any bass. I had to sit 2,5 meters (~ 8,2 feet) from them to hear any bass. I want to avoid this.

I understand I am nowhere near ideal conditions here, but I guess they will sound many times better than my current little plastic squeakers. Thanks for answers.

i think a cmt center would be complete overkill at that close of a listening range... the 170s sound fine at around 4" from the wall, i don't know about the 340s
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5