Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra - Summary, Pricing and Shipping!

Curtis,

After listening to the Sierras for a while, how big of an improvment are they over the 340SE's? I am very interested in upgrading and looking for some feedback? I imagine I can still utilize the 340 stands. Very exciting stuff!

Thanks,
    Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by DPlettner
    I ordered the piano black finish, and I was also wondering about the best way to remove dust every week or so without scratching the finish over time. It would be nice if Ascend could recommend a good product. Perhaps these would work:

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp84418_33...iber_cloth.htm

-Dave
    I think a Swifter would do the trick.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520
    Curtis,

After listening to the Sierras for a while, how big of an improvment are they over the 340SE's? I am very interested in upgrading and looking for some feedback? I imagine I can still utilize the 340 stands. Very exciting stuff!

Thanks,
    Brandon
    I have not gotten to listen to them as much as I would like at this point....kids take up a fair amount of time.

I hate to quantify/qualify how much of an improvement anything is over somethingelse. Is it better? IMO, a definite yes. Can I justify, to myself, the cost over a 340SE? Yes.

IMO, anyone shopping for a bookshelf size speaker in ANY price range should have a listen.

My standard cop-out answer is "You really need to listen to them yourself".

Yes....the 340 stands will work fine. I am using the stands I had made for my 340's.
    -curtis

Yep nice stands, also the natural Sierra is a nice match to the rest of your furniture

How did you do the stands btw? Passed by a few shops to buy a stand (I'll probably end up putting 100$ for an average quality, sand fillable stands, if I can find a good one), I would have probably looked into DIY, but I seriously doubt I could make something which would match the Piano black... 24 inch stand is best right?

Looks like it's almost 200$ for good stands... at 100$ most look... cheap...
    ex: 90$cdn http://solen.ca/pics/sp017l.jpg
    178$cdn http://solen.ca/pics/sshm24.jpg

I don't even think the 178$ one looks that great... Actually I don't even like the golden spikes... looks cheesy to me... Though it looks much more solid than the 1st, sand filled shouldn't be pretty good... I'll have to look around to find something decent.. Some decent (cheaper than here it seems) looking ones from the "Alternate 340SE stands thread", I'll have to check for cdn ship prices, might still come cheaper...

I'm sure the Sierras are speakers which deserve a serious stand though...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 05-19-2007 at 03:33 PM.

I had my stands made by Brian Bunge of http://www.radhometheater.com

A little pricey...and the prices have gone up. My stands are 31" tall.
    -curtis

so I bumped the official Ascend threat at AVS. Perhaps they'll ban that too.

Quote Originally Posted by mziegler
    Actually, there is a discussion about the influence of finish on the Sierras at www.6moons.com The reviewer found significant differences, especially when coupled with the audiofile equipment rack and platinum/diamond cables.

(I am just being silly here--no offense intended, especially to Grayson73--there is some stuff in magazines that naturally seem to inspire satire.)
    Sorry, this was a dumb question. I originally thought that the natural finish was bamboo and the piano black was another type of wood.

I got these for my sierras....

http://www.standsandmounts.com/index...OD&ProdID=4993

they are piano black and pretty stable at only 24" high

Wow...those will look nice with piano black! I'll be over to check them out!
    -curtis

Anybody going to try to build bamboo-veneered stands? I've never worked with bamboo before, and I don't know what it costs locally, but it would be a helluva combo with these new speakers.

J.