Thread: sierra's bass & treble settings

Default sierra's bass & treble settings

Ok this question is for all Sierra's owners I would like to know when setting up your system if you have your settings at 0 (zero ) or flat for the bass and the treble on your receiver

Yeah, I have an EQ, and it's completely flat. Actually, maybe using the controls would help for the room, but the speakers themselves, with good placement, really doesn't need adjustment in my case.

But maybe I'm just going to try to adjust (to negate) the small dip at 3k in the measurements and small bump at 2k http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/pro.../srm1meas.html but I doubt it would be audible inroom, or maybe if it'll actually not be detrimental... Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    But maybe I'm just going to try to adjust (to negate) the small dip at 3k in the measurements and small bump at 2k http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/pro.../srm1meas.html but I doubt it would be audible inroom, or maybe if it'll actually not be detrimental... Thoughts?
    That small of deviation is going to be speaker specific and much smaller than any room effects. To begin with, you would have to work from the measurements of your specific speakers that were packaged with them. Then, you'll need a parametric EQ that can be fine tuned (not sure what you have). In the end, I don't expect you'll notice a difference and any room impact would be much more important to address anyway.

On the OP's question - I do not EQ my Sierras.

by this saturday I should have my new Sierra's L/C/R I guess I will play around with them to get the best sound from them my older speakers the 340's I have the bass flat and the treble 2 or 3 clicks on my pioneer elite. My new system will be the 3 sierra's up front 170's rear's and HSU STF-3 sub

I have this: http://www.behringer.com/DEQ2496/index.cfm

I'm really using it as a DAC and a pre-amp... But might as well use the EQ as an EQ too since I have it...

1 band 1.25k, 2 between 1.25 & 2k (which would make them 1.5khz & 1.75khz), band at 2k, 3, 4k and 5k... So should be able to do it... lower 2k a bit, up 3k... Have the Ascend provided measurements

Anyhow, the challenge is forgetting whether it's set or not and try to discern it, I've failed much more obvious tests than that lol Probably not really discernible, but who knows... Surely makes some sens to try it I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by tank418 View Post
    by this saturday I should have my new Sierra's L/C/R I guess I will play around with them to get the best sound from them my older speakers the 340's I have the bass flat and the treble 2 or 3 clicks on my pioneer elite. My new system will be the 3 sierra's up front 170's rear's and HSU STF-3 sub
    Wow...you have the treble turned up a couple of clicks.

FWIW....everything is set flat on my pre/pro....in fact the tone controls are shut off.
    -curtis

With my receiver (Onkyo TXSR703) everything is flat. I will run 2-channel in pure audio mode, which bypasses all tone controls. Even video processing circuitry is shut off, and there's no LFE output to the sub.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I guess I will turn off the tone control ( flat ) What should I set the Hz the sub for the Sierra's at 60hz ?

as far as "tone control", i would set it flat to start with, and play with it if you want to... graphs, etc. are nice, but the speakers will respond differently in your room than in an anechoic chamber... trust your ears... personally, i wouldn't attempt to equalize speakers based on a graph, but ymmv...

as far as xover, when my sierra's come (c'mon ups guy, drive FASTER! ), i plan on crossing them over at 80 (sub is a paradigm servo-15 v2) and going from there... just because they CAN play lower doesn't mean you need to waste amplifier power doing so... if you are going to use a sub, let it do it's job... defeat the low pass filter in the sub and use the bass management in your receiver (i believe you said in another thread you have a pio elite?)...

I have my receiver (Denon 2805) set to -1 for treble and -1 for bass for my Sierras. They are crossed over to my JL Fathom F112 at 80hz.

I'm also using the EQ on the Denon to adjust the FR of the 3 front speakers. Thie is because the placement of each speaker has affected the sound. The center speaker, for example, is sitting on top of my TV and its bass sounds more prominent than the other speakers.

I'm very happy with the way everything sounds right now. One thing that I don't like, however, is that when I engage the EQ on the 2805, it reduces my maximum volume by 14dB. So if I want to play at really high volume, I have to disable the EQ.