Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sierra - The Crossover

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000
    Hi Dave,
    what would be an ideal crossover point for Sierra's from subwoofer? Now, when are you taking orders for these?? Can you book me a pair+center channel?
    I bet we get the +-3dB point with the woofer and tweeter info.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I bet we get the +-3dB point with the woofer and tweeter info.
    From the above info "In the case of the Sierra, precise response symmetry is maintained from 40Hz up to approximately 10kHz, at up to 25 degrees off-axis." So, 40Hz bottom end?

40Hz......at what +/-db? That is a healthy bottom end. You could do without a sub for music if you elected to go that route.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    40Hz......at what +/-db? That is a healthy bottom end. You could do without a sub for music if you elected to go that route.
    I'm assuming from that that 40Hz is the +/-3dB point but we won't know until tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    I'm assuming from that that 40Hz is the +/-3dB point but we won't know until tomorrow.
    The FR graph has been posted in this thread and it looks like a -3db around 60Hz. (hard to tell with that size of picture and scale)

The more I know about the Sierra the more I want a pair.
    JohnMichael

System

Rega Planar 2 turntable modified
    Benz MC Gold
    Cambridge Audio 640P phono preamp
    Marantz CD5001 cd player

Onkyo A 9555 int. amp

Ascend Acoustics CBM 170SE speakers

Ultralink MX-2 speaker cables
    AlphaCore and AR interconnects

Yeah, from the graph it looks like it's +/- 3dB from ~75hz to 20khz. Which sounds great for sub integration.

5 ohms load, and can we say from the graphs that they have an ~85dB sensitivity or the graphs always position the on-Axis FR to 85dB for the sake of off-axis measurements?
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 05-17-2007 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt
    Yeah, from the graph it looks like it's +/- 3dB from ~75hz to 20khz. Which sounds great for sub integration.

5 ohms load, and can we say from the graphs that they have an ~85dB sensitivity or the graphs always position the on-Axis FR to 85dB for the sake of off-axis measurements?

I think the FR starts dropping even before 100, that's why I asked the question about sub integration. May be 100hz could be an ideal crossover point. Let's wait and see....

I really can't see introducing a reference monitor that doesn't have better extension than your other offerings and can't compete with the competition's extension.

Then there is Dave's tidbit on another thread.

"3. We want to move a lot of air with this woofer, a phase plug will actually decrease the piston area of the driver so for this application, the phase plug was a disadvantage." http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...1&postcount=54

Moving a lot of air means bass to me.
    Last edited by Quinn; 05-17-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Hi Guys,

As with most frequency response graphs, the graphs are only valid to about 200Hz. Notice the "green" bars on the top and bottom that extend from 18Hz to slightly over 200Hz. They indicate the invalid portion of the response curve, this is caused by this distance from the 1st reflection point to the mic.

I will post ground plane + anechoic meausurements this evening that will show you the full bandwidth frequency response of the speaker.

The actual quasi-anechoic frequency response of the speaker is +/- 3dB from 44Hz to 22kHz. Expect -3dB in a typical room to be about 39Hz. Technically, the speaker is +/- 1.5 dB from about 55Hz to 22kHz.

Bass response from the Sierra is OUTSTANDING. The combination of the custom designed long-throw woofer + custom port tube + rigidity and less energy loss of the bamboo cabinet gives the speaker a remarkable bass response (very punchy, dynamic and deep) with no bumps or inaccuracies.

I prefer using these speakers without a subwoofer, but they will benefit from being crossed over at about 60Hz and matched with a subwoofer built for sound quality.

I think the bass response will surpise you and if you have a sub, I think you will be turning it off
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com