Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sierra - The Crossover

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Robert
    Sounds like it's going to be quite efficient, as well (don't forget to give us that spec!).
    Efficiency is about average, to gain this type of bass response - you must sacrifice efficiency. My numbers indicate 87dB.

Average impedance is 8 ohms with a minimum impedance of 5 ohms. Impedance is VERY linear and the speaker is an easy load for all receivers and amps.

Because of the efficiency drop compared to our other products (which were all high-efficiency), I recommend a minimum of 50 watts.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    Hey, if you can't make Jr. sleep......take advantage of the extra awake-time!
    Hah! And that is the problem --- I wouldn't classify it as "awake time". More like being a zombie.

My mistress Lunesta is calling my name tonight though
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Efficiency is about average, to gain this type of bass response - you must sacrifice efficiency. My numbers indicate 87dB.
    Thanks for the spec--what service! Yes, I meant quite efficient for having a single, modestly-sized woofer with that level of bass response. 87 dB is pretty comparable to most competing designs, yet it reaches significantly lower than many (that I've seen).

Average impedance is 8 ohms with a minimum impedance of 5 ohms. Impedance is VERY linear and the speaker is an easy load for all receivers and amps.
    Generally, other high-end bookshelf speakers I've seen with comparable bass and efficiency tend to be much harder to drive (e.g. 4 ohms nominal), so I think you've found a pretty sweet combination of design compromises and new technologies (such as the cabinet material).

Because of the efficiency drop compared to our other products (which were all high-efficiency), I recommend a minimum of 50 watts.
    It's about equal to the HTM-200's efficiency, isn't it? This shouldn't impact too many people (aside from tube aficionados), but as always your honesty and frankness are much appreciated.

I think the bass response will surpise you and if you have a sub, I think you will be turning it off
    I have to hear it to believe it. These speakers will produce enough bass for bass-intensive movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    I have to hear it to believe it. These speakers will produce enough bass for bass-intensive movies?
    I think Dave meant for music.
    -curtis

A -3db of 40Hz should be pretty nice. I totally wasn't thinking about the valid range of the graph.

I look forward to hearing them and to seeing more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    It depends on what you mean by "enough." I suspect you'll want to leave your sub on for Master and Commander, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I think Dave meant for music.
    I would think so! His 60 Hz suggestion sounds right for the Sierra-1's frequency range for those who desire more lower end for music, but personally, I'd still at least consider using a slightly higher crossover frequency for movies just to make sure that this or virtually any speaker isn't working harder than it has to in reproducing those ridiculously hyped movie soundtracks we enjoy so much. Dave, if I'm totally off-base here, then please let me know.

Maybe it's just me, but I occasionally question crossing over my 170SEs even at 80 Hz. Granted, the Sierra-1 has far deeper and greater bass output, but at the same time, many soundtracks will begin to increase in loudness stupendously as the frequency gets lower, which is why an 80 Hz crossover is generally recommended even for floor-standing speakers. I don't own any HTM-200s, but if I did, I'd probably cross them over at 90 Hz or even 100 Hz (as much as I dislike the very idea for other reasons) if they were to be used at the front stage. Listening to music is a different scenario, although there could undoubtedly be exceptions.

Congrats on completing the new design Dave.

One thing that I'm a bit puzzled about is that horizontal off axis FR measurements are almost always done in 15 degree increments up to 45 degrees. Every speaker review I have read does that and even the existing measurements for the 170s and 340s do that - it's basically the standard. With these Sierras, you're only showing 5, 10, and 15 degree measurements horizontally......that's not really much of a test me thinks. If a speaker's FR changes much over only a 15 degree window, you better use a heck of a lot of toe in and keep your head in one spot

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCallas
    One thing that I'm a bit puzzled about is that horizontal off axis FR measurements are almost always done in 15 degree increments up to 45 degrees. Every speaker review I have read does that and even the existing measurements for the 170s and 340s do that - it's basically the standard. With these Sierras, you're only showing 5, 10, and 15 degree measurements horizontally......that's not really much of a test me thinks. If a speaker's FR changes much over only a 15 degree window, you better use a heck of a lot of toe in and keep your head in one spot
    Hi Steve, no reason to be puzzled or speculative of that graph -- you are looking at a completely different graph with a completely different purpose. The symmetry graph is designed so that you can easily compare the off-axis response from one direction to the same angle in the opposite direction while also comparing to off-axis in a different plane. You can compare 15 degrees to the left of the speaker to 15 degrees to the right to 15 degrees below and 15 degrees above. The graphs you are used to seeing typically show horizontal off-axis in only one direction (left or right of the speaker), nor do they compare it to vertical directivity...

This is a graph that I have developed for my purposes, and to be honest, from a design standpoint -- much more revealing of soundstage and dispersion performance.

However, of course I have the "standard" graphs that you are used to seeing on our site and in various reviews -- actually thought I posted it in the thread but I guess I missed it. The horizontal dispersion of the Sierra is excellent.

I will send myself a reminder to post that graph tonight. I have to crop it to fit in the forum and I don't have the tools here in the office to do it (no photoshop or WS-FTP pro to upload from here)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com