Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sierra - The Cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    In my room, it would work fine. My surrounds are mounted to ceiling beams with nothing but free-air to the port.
    Hehe - we don't even know what they cost yet and Curtis is already planning them for his surrounds.

Hi Sam1000

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000
    Hi Dave,
    what is that threaded insert for? Is it for wall mounting. The 170s have 2 of them...
    For securing the speaker to a stand or just for your own personal usage (if you build a stand, or just want to secure the speaker to something). I have found it a convenient feature.

I would not use the threaded insert for supporting the entire weight of the cabinet.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Is it a possibility for the 200s, 170s, and 340s to recieve the same cabinet tretment as the Sierra? Perhaps as an option?

Quote Originally Posted by jvillas
    Is it a possibility for the 200s, 170s, and 340s to recieve the same cabinet tretment as the Sierra? Perhaps as an option?
    The plan right now is to keep the V-LAM cabinets as a higher end option. V-LAM production is S-L-O-W. The 200s, 170s and 340s would definitely benefit from the technology - but I am uncertain if the higher retail pricing would be appropriate.

Of course anything is possible but we will have to evaluate the demand once the Sierra begins shipping.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Hehe - we don't even know what they cost yet and Curtis is already planning them for his surrounds.
    Yeah...I know...just thinking ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    I would not use the threaded insert for supporting the entire weight of the cabinet.
    But with this info, I have to rethink how to mount them to the beam. I use the two threaded inserts on the CBM-170SE now....so that puts things off for a bit.
    -curtis

But with this info, I have to rethink how to mount them to the beam. I use the two threaded inserts on the CBM-170SE now....so that puts things off for a bit.
    If you go with the natural (which I would for the rears, otherwise be prepared for using a step ladder once a week to dust them off) -- use the threaded insert and then just use a wood screw for the other mounting hole. No way you will damage the cabinet
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

In my room, it would work fine. My surrounds are mounted to ceiling beams with nothing but free-air to the port.
    what mounts do you use for doing this? i was thinking of doing the same thing when i move home in a couple days (they're going in the basement)
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by drewface
    what mounts do you use for doing this? i was thinking of doing the same thing when i move home in a couple days (they're going in the basement)
    Simple "L" brackets from Home Depot.
    http://changpics.smugmug.com/photos/13607329-M.jpg
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    If you go with the natural (which I would for the rears, otherwise be prepared for using a step ladder once a week to dust them off) -- use the threaded insert and then just use a wood screw for the other mounting hole. No way you will damage the cabinet
    I don't know if I could bring myself to putting a screw into the cabinet...seriously.
    -curtis

I don't know if I could bring myself to putting a screw into the cabinet...seriously.
    Understandable...

Since you have the 170 mounted without any angle, the force applied to the 1/4-20 insert is vertical so the cabinet absorbs all of it (no risk of the insert pulling free from the cabinet) For your method, the insert will support the speaker.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com