Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: importing cds to a pc??

Default importing cds to a pc??

i want to import my cds to my pc for easier access. what is a good cd ripping program for windows xp? only thing i care about is that i can rip the cds in high quality (320 rate or better)

thanks,
    andrew

windows media player works fine from my experience. it gives you a bunch of different options on what format to rip to.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

I'm gonna move this to the "Watercooler".
    -curtis

I am a big fan of ripping my CDs to a lossless format and storing on a harddrive, and then playing them back on a digitally connected device to my pre/pro.

I currently rip the discs to FLAC, using Exact Audio Copy(EAC).

I currently use the Sonos system for playback, but also like the Squeezebox. I soundcard hooked up digitally to the system would work well too. It really does make accessing music easy.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I am a big fan of ripping my CDs to a lossless format and storing on a harddrive, and then playing them back on a digitally connected device to my pre/pro.

I currently rip the discs to FLAC, using Exact Audio Copy(EAC).

I currently use the Sonos system for playback, but also like the Squeezebox. I soundcard hooked up digitally to the system would work well too. It really does make accessing music easy.
    i was playing around on itunes and came across the "Apple Lossless Encoder" and wikipedia says its similar to FLAC. il probably just use that. from what i read i think its pretty much the same thing. ill leave the link if you want to look for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless

yup...that's a good one too.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by kinggimp82
    i want to import my cds to my pc for easier access. what is a good cd ripping program for windows xp? only thing i care about is that i can rip the cds in high quality (320 rate or better)

thanks,
    andrew
    Hi Andrew,

I recommend CDex for Windows. You can fine tune the quality and encoding engine used. By default I believe it comes with LAME encoding. I have not met anyone who can tell the difference between 320kbps and original source. For me 192kpbs is the lowest I will go, and recommend 320 if you have the hard drive space. Once configured, you just drop in a CD, and click a button. CDex will grab track names and apply your naming convention to each track.

Have fun!
    John

CDex
    http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

Slightly OT. Do you recommend I download CDs to my PC (for upload into iPod 30gb) using AAC 128kbps or MP3 192kbps within iTunes?

I'll mostly listen to ipod using the included earbuds (or maybe some better quality ones if it'll make a differenece) or through my work's crappy PC speakers. So, since sound quality isn't too important for my uses, I'm not thinking of using Apple Lossless. I have maybe 100-200+ CDs I want to upload into iTunes. I'm not dead set on sticking w/ iPod in the future, so am thinking of future compatibility issues too. Suggestions?

I recently decided to rip my CDs to FLAC using dbpoweramp CD ripper (using th accuraterip feature to speed things up) and then convert to mp3 using dbpoweramp music converter. This way I only have to rip once to a lossless format and then can just convert to whatever format and quality level I want to use for my iPod given how much space I have on the iPod.

Mitch

That's even better. So, I'll assume you can't do the same within iTunes then (e.g. rip as Apple Lossless then convert later to other formats/compressions). It doesn't appear you can do that with EAC, correct Curtis? What other programs out there can do the same (WMP?)?