Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any LCD flat panel recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    Well, I went at lunch to CC for a look at the Olevia. Side by side with Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung and Sony left it in the dust. The PQ simply was not in the same league. You could argue that the sets were calibrated intentionally that way to defend the higher price point of the other brands, but it was no contest. Black levels and contrast were simply better on the higher priced sets.
    A big mistake is to use a CC or BB showroom for a comparison. Having seen every TV you've mentioned in real life conditions, none leave any of the others "in the dust."
    All TV's in BB & CC are, or should be set to showroom mode. This prevents the sales staff from tweaking the PQ. All settings are disabled in showroom. Get hold of the remote and see what's what before drawing any meaningful conclusions. If the picture can be adjusted using the remote, someone's not being honest.
    A showroom is an artificial environment with little in common with our homes. That's why the companies have completely separate settings for sales and in home use.
    Using BB or CC to audition displays is no better than using them to audition speakers. Is my predjudice concerning BB & CC showing?

David

OK....thanks! I know that once in your home, a display device will look different than sitting in a big showroom. I don't want to have to do home auditions of TVs and return the ones I don't like. Overall appearance is important to me as well, so an attractive exterior design is one of my criteria. Unlike speakers, I am going to be looking at the tv directly. I appreciate a higher-end look. Ultimately, it is the PQ that is most important and I guess I have to trust my eyes......even though it will be in a showroom. I will ask if the remotes are available to examine and attempt to access the settings!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

The responses I'm getting are the Sony's have the best picture then Samsungs and Sharps. Sony uses Samsung panels.

This thread I started on Home Theater Talk has pretty good info. http://hometheatertalk.com/httalk/viewtopic.php?t=25518

I have been told by an LG retailer(Hi-end A/V shop) that the new models have an incredible picture compared to the models they replace, for about the same cost. Of course, they wanted $1,100 for the 32" set as opposed to $899 on sale at BB w/18 months no interest financing.

Those Sonys are nice, but ouch! Are you paying for the name? Even at $899 I'm stretching things.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

I have been told by an LG retailer(Hi-end A/V shop) that the new models have an incredible picture compared to the models they replace, for about the same cost. Of course, they wanted $1,100 for the 32" set as opposed to $899 on sale at BB w/18 months no interest financing.

Those Sonys are nice, but ouch! Are you paying for the name? Even at $899 I'm stretching things.

Just wait 6 months and they'll come down ~25-30%.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    Just wait 6 months and they'll come down ~25-30%.
    Well, I could not hold my wad!! Picked up a 32" Sharp Aquos last night at BB. Gorgeous picture!! They had the LG, Toshiba REGZA(Nice!), Samsung and Sony as well. The LG and Toshiba were on sale for $899, and the Sharp on sale for $999. I got the salesman to match the sales price of the other 2, and added a $129, 4 year service contract. I spent a bit more than I intended to, but the picture had me mesmerized!!

I will not be able to hook it up for about 3 weeks, after I move into my new place. I will run an amplified antenna to bring in the broadcast HD stations, maybe adding HD cable later on.

At CC, they had the Olevia hooked up in two seperate locations. To me, the blacks were more gray than the name brand sets. Just my perception, but even the very young sales boy stated that they could not adjust them to look nearly as good as the more expensive ones.

Bottom line: Judge for yourself. One man's trash is another man's treasure. My tastes tend to run expensive. Not always a good thing. I do like the best bang for the buck, that is why I own Ascends!!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

At CC, they had the Olevia hooked up in two seperate locations. To me, the blacks were more gray than the name brand sets. Just my perception, but even the very young sales boy stated that they could not adjust them to look nearly as good as the more expensive ones.
    This is the point I was trying to make. They should not be able to adjust the picture UNLESS they've taken the display out of showroom mode which appears to be the case here. Now, there is no chance that it will appear as good as the other displays that haven't been messed with. I don't want to argue which set is better or worse. I want to point out that CC and BB have practices that are not in the customers best interest. They're meant to move people to more expensive units whether it be TV displays, computers or Blose speakers.

Bottom line: Judge for yourself. One man's trash is another man's treasure. My tastes tend to run expensive. Not always a good thing. I do like the best bang for the buck, that is why I own Ascends!!
    Bang for the buck is why I steer clear of CC & BB. I used the same criteria to buy my Olevia as I did my Ascends. I do months of research and buy on-line. I got to learn a lot in the process in both instances which has served me well.
    Enjoy the Aquos. Lots of very positive reviews. Get HD cable soon. Discovery HD and sports make it well worth the price of admission.

David

Thanks for the words of guidance, David! I guess with tv's I am not very knowledgable, so I feel safer sticking to a name brand. I know the Aquos name kind of pioneered the LCD trail, so I am comfortable with having spent more than intended.

One thing. I have a prog-scan SD DVD player. Should I pick up a cheap upconverting model, or wait until an affordale HD-DVD/Blu-ray player surfaces?
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

I have to agree with making TV purchases at BB or CC. I bought my Samsung DLP from them. My decision was made after alot of research, not from anything they said to me. In fact, they had the adjustments so far out of whack, someone looking at the set would stay AWAY from buying one. Sharp makes excellent LCD's as well as Sony which I probably will be buying for the spare room. As for the DVD player, I'm not sure how much more detail you'll see at 1080i on a 32" set. HD DVD players can be found for under $400 now and would easily outperform an upscaling DVD player while also giving you the added capability of HD DVD playback. This is of course assuming your TV size/viewing distance are within limits to take advantage of the higher resolution.

The set is 720P which should be plenty of rez for 32". There was a 1080P set that looked identical, but it was $1400-$1500. I don't think 1080P is necessary on a 32" set anyway. Are there 1080P sources to feed it?

By affordable I'm thinking sub-$200.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6