Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any LCD flat panel recommendations?

Default Any LCD flat panel recommendations?

We just moved and I'm looking for a 37-40" LCD flat panel for our new living room. Our old entertainment center doesn't fit in the new living room. I have lots of light and reflections to deal with so I've decided on LCD wall mounted. This isn't a HT/critical viewing TV. I'm not having luck wading through AVS as to what the top choices are. I'm interested in those that do SD better.

I just helped a friend get a 65" Mitsubishi DLP.

While doing the shopping, we saw all kinds of LCD flat panels, all looked great, but some did look better than others. Of course, I have no idea if they were all set-up correctly, but after what I saw, and if this is not for critical viewing, you should not have a problem finding anything.

I would give the Vizios a look since they are inexpensive.

www.vizio.com
    -curtis

My daughter purchased a LG 37" LCD and I was very impressed. Has seperate video calibrations for each tuner so going from a HD feed to a SD feed she ended up with a really sharp picture no matter what you watched. I wasn't a big LCD fan but the LG changed my mind.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by curtis

I would give the Vizios a look since they are inexpensive.

www.vizio.com
    With all the stories on AVS about how many of the Vizio plasmas are crapping out in under 2 years I think I stay clear them.

I starting to reconsider a plasma as I'm reading the reflection issues are about the same as an old fashion CRT which I have it there now and it isn't that bad.

I purchased a 37" (model 537) Olevia in November. It has issues but they're not major IMO. As far as bang for the buck, it'd be tough to beat. Very good PQ in HD and acceptable in SD.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=757419

59 pages on avs of mostly positive reviews.

David

I am looking at 32" models now, but I tend to like the expensive models! The lower priced ones don't have the digital engines of the pricier models, nor the conrast ratio. I love the Samsungs and LG's, but they start over $1K. Olevia is interesting though. I am not going to run hi-def initially, so a set that handles SD well is important. The Samsungs and LG's handle SD very well, near HD quality with upconversion.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    I am looking at 32" models now, but I tend to like the expensive models! The lower priced ones don't have the digital engines of the pricier models, nor the conrast ratio. I love the Samsungs and LG's, but they start over $1K. Olevia is interesting though. I am not going to run hi-def initially, so a set that handles SD well is important. The Samsungs and LG's handle SD very well, near HD quality with upconversion.
    I calibrated a neighbor's 37" LG with AVIA. It's comparable to the Olevia in both HD and SD.

David

I've learned that the Olevia's use LG panels and electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    I've learned that the Olevia's use LG panels and electronics.
    Really? Hmm....I will need to look at these closer. Circuit City has them on sale with no interest until Jan. 2009.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Well, I went at lunch to CC for a look at the Olevia. Side by side with Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung and Sony left it in the dust. The PQ simply was not in the same league. You could argue that the sets were calibrated intentionally that way to defend the higher price point of the other brands, but it was no contest. Black levels and contrast were simply better on the higher priced sets.

Best Buy is running 18 months no interest, 1% of balance min. payment. I am going to check out the LG there and some other models they have.

The search continues............
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6