Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone switch from DSL to cable modem or vice versa?

Default Re: Anyone switch from DSL to cable modem or vice versa?

With Curtis' and others suggestions, went with Fios TV and a TivoHD. Hooked up this weekend (along w/ 15/2 internet + phone service). As a former happy DirecTivo owner, am very satisfied with the setup. Have less HD channels than DirecTV, but several more than my local cable provider (soon to be Charter). Apparently more HD channels are scheduled in the near future though (*fingers crossed*).

Now, am scouring the Tivo forums to determine the best upgrade path to increase the harddrive memory.

In case you're wondering, the speed of the menus/guide/etc are about the same as the hr10-250 HD DirecTivo. Not the greatest, but more than adequate.

Also, in my opinion, for standard surfing, not a huge difference compared to my 5mbps download cable modem service.

Thanks for all the input.
    Last edited by BGHD; 03-12-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Nope.

I did read that the HDTiVo's are designed to work with a weaker signal than the FiOS STB's. So in some cases, some folks needed to use attenuators with their HDTiVo's to get the best performance.
    You're definitely correct. Olympics were unwatchable until I added 6db of attenuation. Bought a multi-pack from smarthome.com:

http://www.smarthome.com/7800.html

speaking about Olympics....I have been an Olympics junkie the past two weeks!
    -curtis

Just to update this FiOS thread....

Today, in California, FiOS revamped the channel lineup. Many new HD channels, and new packages. I am getting more HD and movies channels than yesterday, along with 20/5 internet service, and paying $8 less a month.

My new internet speeds according to speakeasy.net:
    Download Speed: 20313 kbps (2539.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 4593 kbps (574.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    kind of a waste....but it costs me nothing, and the rates are not cheaper if I went with less.
    -curtis

the channel lineup was updated at my parents place in Maryland sometime recently, as well. (they have FiOS) i also noticed that a lot of the performance issues the IMG used to be plagued with have been fixed. it all runs really smooth now. there's games (like solitaire), new widgets, and some other stuff i didn't get to check out, as well. all pretty solid updates in my opinion.

apparently the base speed for internet has been increased in the area from 5/2 to 10/2. i haven't tested this there to see if they pushed the upgrade to existing customers, but next time i'm there i plan to check it out.

i really hate that i have to use comcast at my new place in Baltimore city...
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

I will have to check out the games, but not tell my kids about them.
    -curtis

I will have to check out the games, but not tell my kids about them.
    haha. i don't really think they are worthwhile unless you're REALLY bored and feeling extremely lazy to the point you don't want to leave your seat... i tried the solitaire, and got frustrated with it pretty quick (mouse control on a computer is SO much better). i think chess was another one they had... and maybe some form of poker. at least they're free!
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Just to update this FiOS thread....

Today, in California, FiOS revamped the channel lineup. Many new HD channels, and new packages. I am getting more HD and movies channels than yesterday, along with 20/5 internet service, and paying $8 less a month.

My new internet speeds according to speakeasy.net:
    Download Speed: 20313 kbps (2539.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 4593 kbps (574.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    kind of a waste....but it costs me nothing, and the rates are not cheaper if I went with less.
    What?! How'd you pull that off? I called to upgrade to Extreme HD & the CSR just INCREASED my bill by $10. I read about people's bill going down, but I couldn't get the CSR to cough up any ways to improve my package.

I had/have the $109 Triple Freedom package, 15/2 internet, no premium movie or sports. As Extreme HD includes sports, I assumed that's why peoples' bills went down. Any tips to get a better deal? Do I need to ask for 20/5 internet? Does having/not having premium movies make a difference?

BTW, pretty nice to finally catch up to Directv & Dish in # of HD channels.