Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone switch from DSL to cable modem or vice versa?

Played around w/ a friend's Fios internet and TV setup. As mentioned by others earlier, really didn't notice a huge difference surfing site/pages, but downloading was definitely faster. Example, for videos in YouTube, download buffer indicator moved noticeably faster. Didn't play w/ the TV much, but the additional HD channels are a plus. I think I'll miss my HD DirecTivo though, but not a biggie as DirecTV's new DVRs aren't getting great reviews anyway.

alright... so fios got installed today. here's the speakeasy test results:

Download Speed: 5201 kbps (650.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1829 kbps (228.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

guess my dad got the 5/2 package...

my wireless speed is being crap at the moment, so i'll have to get back to you with those results. i need to figure out how to access the verizon router and see if i can tinker with some settings. they put security on the wireless signal, which can adversely affect performance... i'm also going to see if i can get my dad to upgrade to the 15/2 package, cause i've already noticed that the speed is slower than our comcast connection was (the direct connection is fine, but wireless is spotty).

i still need to play with the tv stuff, too...

UPDATE: so i got into the router and changed some of the settings and now the wireless is working just as fast as the wired, so i'm happy for now in that department. checked out a couple hd channels on the tv, too. they look amazing!
    Last edited by drewface; 07-16-2007 at 07:19 PM.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Well, after all this, we've decided to move. Not sure if they offer Fios in my new location. I hope the next owner of my current house appreciates all the hard work that went into getting their DSL up and running again.

Default Why does my upload speed seem slow compared to others?

Well, until I figure out between Fios and DirecTV, have signed-up with cable tv and modem (Wave broadband in my area). On speakeasy, download speed 5611 kbps and upload 383 kbps. Except for not having local KCAL HD channel (for Dodger & Lakers HD broadcasts), am pretty happy w/ the modem speeds and tv picture quality. Plus, I can cancel/restart at anytime. Just an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD View Post
    Well, until I figure out between Fios and DirecTV, have signed-up with cable tv and modem (Wave broadband in my area). On speakeasy, download speed 5611 kbps and upload 383 kbps. Except for not having local KCAL HD channel (for Dodger & Lakers HD broadcasts), am pretty happy w/ the modem speeds and tv picture quality. Plus, I can cancel/restart at anytime. Just an FYI.
    FYI...I am watching the Dodgers in HD right now. Fox Sports West.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    FYI...I am watching the Dodgers in HD right now. Fox Sports West.
    Thanks for heads-up. My "guide" says "Sign off" for FoxHD, but the game's on. Thx. Their playoff hopes are dim, but you never know what'll happen.

Forgot I now receive FoxHD, so makes up for not having KCAL9 HD. PQ looked nice, too bad the Dodgers didn't.

OK, the cable modem's fine, but the cable TV HD offerings and DVR (SA 8300HD) sucks IMO. Any advice on deciding between Fios TV and DirecTV at this time? If I go w/ Fios TV, will most likely go with Fios internet, and either cable modem or DSL with DirecTV. I don't necessarily need superfast internet, but would definitely like more HD channels and hopefully a better DVR. Sorry for beating a dead cat, but as they both require contracts, don't wanna make the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD View Post
    OK, the cable modem's fine, but the cable TV HD offerings and DVR (SA 8300HD) sucks IMO. Any advice on deciding between Fios TV and DirecTV at this time? If I go w/ Fios TV, will most likely go with Fios internet, and either cable modem or DSL with DirecTV. I don't necessarily need superfast internet, but would definitely like more HD channels and hopefully a better DVR. Sorry for beating a dead cat, but as they both require contracts, don't wanna make the wrong choice.
    DirecTV has more HD channels right now...a lot more. For what they have in common, what I have been reading is FiOS has better picture quality. The SD quality on FiOS is outstanding on the SDtv I have in my bedroom.

As for the DVRs, neither is great from what I read. The FiOS DVR does the job, but I like TiVO much better......the Dish DVR is also pretty good. I have no first hand experience with the DirecTV DVR.

The internet speed on FiOS is great....and the only problem I have had is a bad power supply on the router they supply you with. You have to use their router because of its coax connection. I actually use my own router and create a DMZ connection for the FiOS router and it works fine.
    -curtis

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks. It's too bad Tivo scared away DirecTV with their licensing fees, as I loved my older HD DirecTivo. Not perfect, but miles ahead of the one I lease from my cable company.