Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone switch from DSL to cable modem or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    BTW, aren't downloads/uploads bottlenecked by websites, so you don't even really get to make full use of superfast connections? Just wondering.
    Sure...they can be, but it depends on the site, the amount of bandwidth they have, servers, etc. Unless you have multiple machines accessing the internet at one time, websurfing isn't really where you notice the difference though, it is downloading and uploading files that make a difference.

I just did Speakeasy.....so I have to brag:
    Download Speed: 15591 kbps (1948.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1855 kbps (231.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    BTW, aren't downloads/uploads bottlenecked by websites, so you don't even really get to make full use of superfast connections? Just wondering.
    there's a lot of things that come into play when the actual transfer rate is calculated. the numbers that service providers throw out to you are bandwidth, which is related to (and often confused as) the connection's total capacity. The actual speeds you get is your throughput. Maximum throughput would be when you are using the full capacity of your connection, but this is rarely achieved for a number of reasons i'm not going to go into. (i'd have to refresh my facts to do so, as well) the majority of the web doesn't need crazy high bandwidth to perform well. where the extra bandwidth comes in handy is downloading and uploading large amounts of data, such as video, audio, and images.
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I just did Speakeasy.....so I have to brag:
    Download Speed: 15591 kbps (1948.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1855 kbps (231.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    wow! that's nice!

i just did it from my college apartment and i got:
    Download Speed: 7702 kbps (962.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 6802 kbps (850.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

not too bad. the upload is especially nice. i'll have to try it at home.

EDIT: one more thing, you'll notice that the speeds go down significantly (usually) when the server you are connected to is further away. this is because the signal has to go through many more routers/switches/etc to get to its destination.
    Last edited by drewface; 07-21-2008 at 02:06 PM.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by drewface
    i just did it from my college apartment and i got:
    Download Speed: 7702 kbps (962.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 6802 kbps (850.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

not too bad. the upload is especially nice. i'll have to try it at home.
    College campuses are nice, they usually don't put low caps on speeds, and they run the ethernet right to your room.....no need to deal with modems and such.

I had a 1200baud modem when I was in college.
    -curtis

these are the numbers from home:

Download Speed: 13719 kbps (1714.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 728 kbps (91 KB/sec transfer rate)

that's on a wireless connection, too, so if i were plugged directly to the router it might be a little faster. download is pretty good, but upload kinda sucks... i think i am the only one using the net currently in my house, so those speeds could go down at some point. the download speed isn't much lower than yours...

whatever the case, the main draw for me at the moment is getting a better cable tv service, especially the HD channels.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by drewface
    these are the numbers from home:

Download Speed: 13719 kbps (1714.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 728 kbps (91 KB/sec transfer rate)

that's on a wireless connection, too, so if i were plugged directly to the router it might be a little faster. download is pretty good, but upload kinda sucks... i think i am the only one using the net currently in my house, so those speeds could go down at some point. the download speed isn't much lower than yours...

whatever the case, the main draw for me at the moment is getting a better cable tv service, especially the HD channels.
    Nice!

That is FiOS?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Nice!

That is FiOS?
    nope, that's with comcast.

Follow-up: Well, after weeks of being down, Verizon finally discovered they needed to lay-down some new service cable from the street to our house. Poor neighbor had his lawn and sidewalk dug-up just for this. Seems to work fine now (have the new Westell wireless router too).

But, waddaya know, while they're digging-up my neighbor's lawn I receive the Fios sign-up flyer. I think I'll go for the internet service (probably just 5mbps service), but I'm still not 100% sure if will get the TV or phone service.

Drewface: Did you ever jump to Fios?

Are there any bundle prices for Fios TV, phone, internet (wireless?)? I only saw bundles for non-Fios products.

I still have Comcast cable,have had it since the year 2000, and over the years it has steadily gotten faster, it was initially 1500/256, and using nearby servers, it was just that.

I test at least once every 6 months- numerous servers (closest is always fastest of course, barring a problem at a nearby router), I just tested again, it is early in the day- so it should be very good-

Northeast East Servers- 13-23+mb DL/1400-2000+up
    West Coast- 6000+ DL/600+ UP

Used numerous servers, and thats pretty much standard result here.

My service was supposedly 6 mb DL/384 UP (last I knew- which was last year), so I think it's doing pretty darn well.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD View Post
    Drewface: Did you ever jump to Fios?
    nope, not yet... i'm thinking i might just call comcast and see what i can get out of them by threatening to leave. maybe i can get a free upgrade from standard to digital cable we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by drewface View Post
    nope, not yet... i'm thinking i might just call comcast and see what i can get out of them by threatening to leave. maybe i can get a free upgrade from standard to digital cable we'll see.
    spoke too soon. the verizon guy is coming tomorrow to set us up i'm kinda bummed i won't be here to pester the installer with questions about the service and whatnot, but oh well.

i'll report back in a week or so after i have some time to put it through its paces.