Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone switch from DSL to cable modem or vice versa?

Default Anyone switch from DSL to cable modem or vice versa?

My Verizon DSL modem's on the fritz and they're refusing to replace it, so am thinking it might be a good time to change to cable modem. Anyone switch and notice a difference?

DSL is just too slow for me. When FIOS becomes available in my area, I'll ditch Road Runner (cable) if the price of FIOS isn't prohibitive by then. If speed is important, cable is the way to go (over DSL).

David

In my area, internet service over cable provides faster speeds than DSL and seems to be more reliable, but it is also more expensive.

I have had FiOS service now for 6 months or so, and it has been great! Speeds are unmatched by cable. I am currently getting 15mb/s download speeds and 2mb/s upload. That is approximately 3 times and 8 times better than cable....on top of that, $4 cheaper per month! Reliability has been excellent, not a single problem that I can recall since I have had it.

The speed increase is not noticeable on a lot of stuff, especially if you only have one computer connected to the net. Sometimes we have three computers connected, and the fatter pipe really helps. For me, the biggest help is the upload speeds, especially when I upload pictures to my photo hosting service.

The only down side is the DVR software for the TV service. It works, but it is just not as polished as Dish or TiVo. Picture quality is excellent though.
    -curtis

hey curtis,

my family has been thinking about switching to verizon fios from cable, mainly due to it being a little cheaper than what we currently have. i've been trying to do some reading on it to see how the whole installation works, but verizon's site is kind of vague. hopefully you can answer a couple questions for me.

first, the site says they install a free wireless router to use in your home with the fios service. they will set up one computer for free, but you have to pay like $75 extra to have other computers set up with the software or something. i'm sort of a techy, so i when i installed our current wireless router, i skipped the software install and did all the setup through the router's web interface. is the software they setup really necessary to connect to the service, or is it just a way for them to make a quick buck for "setting up" other systems?

second, they seem to offer different speed packages. the 15Mbps download is one of their top priced offers. are you paying extra for the speed you are getting, or are you just getting better-than-advertised performance.

third, with the tv portion, do you have to pay extra money for hd channels, or are they standard? if they are not standard, do you know how much extra they cost? we have a 52" widescreen in the basement that i'd love to take advantage of hd broadcasting (heroes in HD... *drool*)

last, when you got fios, were you switching from a standard cable internet provider? if you were, did you notice a significant increase in performance? our current cable connection is rated at 6Mbps download speed, and the entry-level fios is rated at 5, so... just curious.

anyone else who wants to chime in on fios, feel free i want to hear all the compliments AND complaints on the service so i can advise my dad properly.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    DSL is just too slow for me. When FIOS becomes available in my area, I'll ditch Road Runner (cable) if the price of FIOS isn't prohibitive by then. If speed is important, cable is the way to go (over DSL).

David
    Thanks for the replies. If I can't convince Verizon to spring for a new modem, might just switch to cable modem (Wave broadband in my area). As you all have mentioned, seems a couple bucks more than dsl though. Aside from consolidating my bills, no other reason to stay w/ Verizon esp if they can't give a good customer (have phone, dsl & wirelss w/ them) a friggin' modem.

Unfortunately, Fios isn't yet avail in my area, otherwise I probably would've gone that route. From looking at their channel lineup, they have more HD channels than Directv like:

Wealth TV HD 837
    National Geographic Channel HD 838
    MTV HD 839
    Food Network HD 840
    HGTV HD 841
    Lifetime Movie Network HD 845

Wealth TV HD???

Can you use a Tivo w/ Fios, like a series 3?

Curtis,
    Can you get KCAL or KTLA HD broadcasts w/ Fios? I wouldn't wanna miss Dodger HD broadcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by drewface
    first, the site says they install a free wireless router to use in your home with the fios service. they will set up one computer for free, but you have to pay like $75 extra to have other computers set up with the software or something. i'm sort of a techy, so i when i installed our current wireless router, i skipped the software install and did all the setup through the router's web interface. is the software they setup really necessary to connect to the service, or is it just a way for them to make a quick buck for "setting up" other systems?
    It is just a way for for them to make money. No special software needed.

The only special thing about the router is that is has a coax interface for the set-top boxes.

second, they seem to offer different speed packages. the 15Mbps download is one of their top priced offers. are you paying extra for the speed you are getting, or are you just getting better-than-advertised performance.
    In my area there are currently only two speed packages, 5mb/s and 15mb/s. I am paying for the 15mb/s service. In some other areas there is also a 10mb/s package.

third, with the tv portion, do you have to pay extra money for hd channels, or are they standard? if they are not standard, do you know how much extra they cost? we have a 52" widescreen in the basement that i'd love to take advantage of hd broadcasting (heroes in HD... *drool*)
    If I remember correctly, you pay for the monthly HD set-top box rental, not the channels.

last, when you got fios, were you switching from a standard cable internet provider? if you were, did you notice a significant increase in performance? our current cable connection is rated at 6Mbps download speed, and the entry-level fios is rated at 5, so... just curious.
    When I switched to FiOS, I was using cable. I went straight to the 15mb/s service, and yes.....there was a noticeable difference. I doubt there would have been one with the 5mb/s....but the 2mb/s upload speed is MUCH more significant and is the same in both packages.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Curtis,
    Can you get KCAL or KTLA HD broadcasts w/ Fios? I wouldn't wanna miss Dodger HD broadcasts.
    Sure do!

And on top of that Fox Sports Net West and Fox Sports Net (Prime Ticket) also have specific channels for when they broadcast a game in HD.
    -curtis

thanks for your replies, curtis. sounds like it is a good deal, although the upgrade on the bandwidth and the hd box may negate the cost savings. we'll probably have 4+ computers and a wii all sharing, though, so the extra bandwidth will probably be useful. once i'm done with school in a couple weeks i'm going to look into it more.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Update: Was able to press on Verizon and eventually they agreed to give me 2 months free DSL as credit. In addition, was able to get a new modem/wireless router combo from them for free also. Apparently, it works via a new "circuit" (ATM???), which is supposedly faster. So a little gentle persistance pays off some times.

Well, using speakeasy.net/speedtest (cool site BTW), went from 270kbs to up to 620kbs downloads and 80 to 135 uploads. Nothing compared to Curtis' Fios, but a huge improvement for me.

BTW, aren't downloads/uploads bottlenecked by websites, so you don't even really get to make full use of superfast connections? Just wondering.