Thread: oppo970 usb connecton

Default oppo970 usb connecton

i would like to know if there are any ascend owners who own the oppo970hd dvd player. and have used the usb connection to playback audio,and or video files. Also would like to know the playback quality. The reviews I've read are quite mixed.

I have the 970 and have been very happy with it, but I have not used the USB connection. I didn't even know there was one.

I wonder why the reviews on the USB connection have been mixed.....it is a digital connection and wouldn't utilize its own DAC.

Mine is hooked up digitally to my pre/pro and everything sounds great.
    -curtis

Hi curtis, I agree the sound is great.
    One review I read said they could not get the usb and memory card to work at all. Another simply pointed these connections as an option usually not found in this price range. Still another said video playback was at best choppy and not very useable, but also said that it will playback audio files(mp3) though not mentioned by Oppo. This review went on to say that the possible cause of the poor video playback may be because the usb connection is the slower 1.1 rather than the current 2.0

Also for Oppo to be able to play files from an external harddrive. your drive must be formatted using FAT method not NTSF.

At the moment I have 3 external drives 2 sata, 1 usb.The usb is NTSF has both video and audio files on it.

I should add that all the reviews I have read agree that the Oppo is an excellent product and a great value.

I just ordered one. It's shipped today and I should get it in a couple days (I'm right across the bay).

This month's Stereophile gave it a great review as an CD, DVD-A, SACD player. It gave it an even GREATER review as a universal transport, used as Curtis does, to a DAC.

Well... I won't have a DAC, but in my office, I just wanted a machine that would play EVERYTHING, and do it well. Maybe it's not the best in the manner I'm using it, but more than good enough for my purposes. Just bought another set of 170SE's for the setup too.

The reciever I just bought (arrives on Wed.) has a USB input. I'm curious if the Oppo it can send an analog signal out over the USB to the reciever. Hmmmm.

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's