Thread: 340SE Review

Default 340SE Review

I have had the 340SE's for one week now and just thought I would post a review. I bought the 340's to listen to music. I am a child of the 70's and like to find the best "bang for the buck" in loudspeakers, especially speakers under $1000. My first reaction was, "gee, they sound nice but are really lacking in bass response." Well.....the more I listenened, especially at higher sound levels, the better they sounded. I judge a speaker by how musical they sound (i.e. what I can hear from the vocals, various instruments, etc.). These speakers opened up a new listening experience. I heard voice parts and instrument parts that were previousely unheard. My source components are an Outlaw RR 2150 receiver and a Rega Planet CD player (the original Planet). I have been a "stereo nut" for 30 years now and am amazed at how good these speaker sound. Don't know how you guys did it but you nailed "best bang for the buck" under $1000 in my book. I hope that Stereophile or Absolute Sound test the 340's also. Thanks for a great product.

Hi Rocknribs -

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your comments on the 340 SE. Your old Rega Planet -- is that the original top loader? I have been trying to find a used one in good shape for a while now. Let me know if you ever plan to sell it
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

You are correct Dave, I have the original top loading Planet. Marvelous CD player. I purchased it off of E-Bay. By the way, I neglected to mention in my previous posting that I also have the stands for the 340's. Filled each with 50 lbs. of sand before I hooked the speakers up. Speakers still sounding great.