Thread: Authentic SE?

Question Authentic SE?

Guys when you are looking a 340 (main/center) how can you tell if the are authentic "SE" other than the sticker? I am sure the sticker would not tell you because anyone could just slay a "Signature Edition" sticker on the box.

htnaks,
    ncage

Quote Originally Posted by ncage1974 View Post
    Guys when you are looking a 340 (main/center) how can you tell if the are authentic "SE" other than the sticker? I am sure the sticker would not tell you because anyone could just slay a "Signature Edition" sticker on the box.

htnaks,
    ncage
    A couple of things:

The tweeter is different. The classic tweeter had a "diffraction lens" on it...looks like two points/sticks coming from the top and the bottom of the tweeter.

The woofer is different too. The easiest way to tell is that it has a metal phase plug as opposed to one that is the same material as the cone. There are some "classics" that have this woofer though.

There is a serial number too....just would need to call Ascend to check. I suppose if someone wanted to, they could also swap serial number labels between and an SE and a classic.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    A couple of things:

The tweeter is different. The classic tweeter had a "diffraction lens" on it...looks like two points/sticks coming from the top and the bottom of the tweeter.

The woofer is different too. The easiest way to tell is that it has a metal phase plug as opposed to one that is the same material as the cone. There are some "classics" that have this woofer though.

There is a serial number too....just would need to call Ascend to check. I suppose if someone wanted to, they could also swap serial number labels between and an SE and a classic.
    Thanks Curtis for the reply. I do not have the speakers yet but i will by the end of this week. When i get them i will post some pics on here. I guess that would probably be the easiest way. I know i'm being a little paranoid but i just want to make sure.

thanks,
    ncage

Curtis is correct. The simplest way to be certain that the speakers are SE and not "classic" is by the design of the tweeter. The classic tweeter has a thin metal bar that passes over the tweeter dome vertically. The SE tweeter has no such bar...

If you wish, forward me a digital picture of the front of the speakers once you get them and I can let you know what version you have.

Enjoy!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Ok guys both the 340 SE Mains & the 340 SE Center Channel tonight (I got them from different people). The tweeters look exactly the same. There is no type of bar running through the tweeter. The only thing i'm noticing, which is kind of wierd, is the woofers between the 340 SE mains and the 340 SE Center Channel are slightly different in color. The center channel is more of a light gray and the 340 SE Mains woofers are more of a gun metal charcoal color. I thought they were exactly the same except for the grill emblem and maybe the tweeter turned slightly. Is this normal or no? I will take pictures if you think it will help but it might be hard to get the slight color differences in a picture (i do have a good SLR digital though).

thanks,
    Ncage

Here i took some quick pictures. They aren't that good but hopefully this shows you the difference:
    Pic1
    Pic2
    Pic3

If you need better pics let me know but i think this shows what i'm talking about.

thanks,
    ncage

Definitely SE versions for both... The slight color difference is normal for these types of woofers. The actual "color" of the woofer cones is batch dependant, some are slightly darker or lighter. There is no performance difference between the two, it is all a matter of the inks / dyes used in the polymer solution.

As long as the woofers have that black metal phase plug, they are 100% SE parts
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Definitely SE versions for both... The slight color difference is normal for these types of woofers. The actual "color" of the woofer cones is batch dependant, some are slightly darker or lighter. There is no performance difference between the two, it is all a matter of the inks / dyes used in the polymer solution.

As long as the woofers have that black metal phase plug, they are 100% SE parts
    Dave you are my bestest friend right now . That is just awesome. I little afraid there but you have cleared my mind. Thanks a bunch.

A couple of minor questions. The guy i got the center channel from did not have the receipt. Do you have to have the receipt if you get warranty work done or do they go from the serial number? Secondly, I have a couple parts for the stands for the 340 SE Mains i need (the stands). I need 1 of the nuts that use for the floor spikes. Also the little disk that you use for the floor spikes i assume in case your putting it on a wood floor that you could scratch.....i need 1 of them too. Should these be pretty easy to order?

thanks.

Ncage

A couple of minor questions. The guy i got the center channel from did not have the receipt. Do you have to have the receipt if you get warranty work done or do they go from the serial number?Ncage
    We can go by serial number, no worries

Secondly, I have a couple parts for the stands for the 340 SE Mains i need (the stands). I need 1 of the nuts that use for the floor spikes. Also the little disk that you use for the floor spikes i assume in case your putting it on a wood floor that you could scratch.....i need 1 of them too. Should these be pretty easy to order?Ncage
    Shouldn't be a problem. Just give us a call. Yes, the disc you mention is a floor protector.

Take care!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com