Thread: Single Purpose Speakers

Default Single Purpose Speakers

Hi, is there such a thing as a loudspeaker designed exclusively for Home Theater,and loudspeakers designed for music? Or, is this just a bunch of BS? I am reading more frequently about how some speakers perform better in a ht set-up, and perhaps average in an audio music set-up and visa- versa.Then there are others that do well in both.My own inclination is to think this is BS. Then again maybe the speaker industry has changed ,or is heading in this direction. I wonder.

There is certainly such a thing as a speaker designed for either home theater or music. Most home theater in a box or similar are designed for home theater and most "audiophile" speakers are designed for 2-channel music.

Now, does designing with one or the other in mind impact performance on the other? That's a different question.

The most significant design difference to the approaches (at least on the surface) is that speakers designed for home theater use are usually designed to be used with a subwoofer. Those designed for two-channel music are often designed with the expectation that they will not be used with a subwoofer.

Beyond the need for a subwoofer, in general, what other design goals would go into an HT purpose speaker? Would the sound of a HT purpose speaker be readily apparent?

Personally I am a 2 channel music lover,with no real interest in HT. I watch TV, and DVDs on my computer, often out of a little box on the corner of my screen. This topic does interest me quite a bit though.

like yourself, i am skeptical about how much difference there could be. if i were to take a guess, however, i would say home theatre speakers would tend to focus more on the reproduction of human voices and/or special effects such as explosions and roars, whereas a speaker designed for music would focus more on reproduction of instruments and balancing everything more evenly than one would generally find in a movie.

like i said before, i think it sounds like a bunch of bs.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

drewface, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this topic. you make alot of sense. I think the AV, HT, industry may still be in its infancy,and perhaps its impact on speaker design is just beginning to be felt unlike electronics,where it has changed very quickly. Perhaps time will tell.