Thread: Mounting 340s for the rear

Hi ClutchBrake,

I don't recommend wall mounting the CMT-340s. These are big heavy speakers with a large rear port. I am also concerned that they might begin to sound boomy if too close to a wall.

Why do you feel the need to have a speaker with a good low end for your rears? I honestly see no advantage to this at all. The HTM-200 are 3dB down at around 87hz (anechoic). In a room and against a wall, they will be 3dB down in the high 70 hz region. If you receiver is crossed over at 80hz, these speakers and your sub will sum to almost a flat response, which is exactly what is recommended.

What about using the 170s in the rear?

Feel free to email me direct of call anytime!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I had to compromise with my first home theater setup (Klipsch Quintet Microsystem). I've been second-guessing myself ever since. This time I want to do it right.

The reason I want to have superior speakers in the rear is that some movies are beginning to demand more and more from the rears. Underworld, for example. I can only see this becoming more prevalent. Heck, when Finding Nemo and Toy Story 2 provide some of the best bass demo scenes around you know home theater audio is finally getting the attention it deserves. This is why I want to have rear speakers that would be capable of delivering 60Hz material with authority. I might not need it today, but I'll bet I will 6-12 months from now.

After buying Ascends my next step will be to focus on a new sub. Currently I have an SVS 20-39 PCi. I absolutely love it, but of course I want more. I'm leaning towards building a four driver Stryke AV15 Infinite Baffle powered with a Crown prosound amp. I expect extension in the low teens. That is why I want to crossover at 60Hz, to free up the IB to go low with authority.

I haven't ruled out the 200s yet, but I've spent much more time over the last few days trying to figure out how to use the 340s than the 200s. It's hard to explain why the 170s wouldn't work. I'll just say they wouldn't work for me mounted as rear surrounds.

Besides, how cool would it be to have five 340s?

ClutchBrake,

Five 340s would be QUITE impressive, to say the least. Would you be mounting the 340s on the rear walls or side walls? Could you fax me a room diagram?

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Side walls. My room is 14'w x 20'l x 8'h. Sealed, no large openings to other rooms. I'll send you a fax tomorrow.

FWIW, I'm not dead set on mounting them to the walls. What I have been working over in my mind is a tall heavily weighted stand to mount them on. My only variable was not knowing the size of the port. I got to hear the 340 for the first time last Saturday when I helped Azanon calibrate his setup. I didn't want to take his center off the stand to check the diameter of the port so I wasn't sure what kind of clearance I would need from the wall.

Thanks!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I didn't want to take his center off the stand to check the diameter of the port so I wasn't sure what kind of clearance I would need from the wall.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I wouldn't have minded at all :-)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by azanon

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I didn't want to take his center off the stand to check the diameter of the port so I wasn't sure what kind of clearance I would need from the wall.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I wouldn't have minded at all :-)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hehe, I know. [] In all honesty I was afraid if I moved it off the top of the TV I might drop it. Wasn't sure how you had everything wired back there and didn't want to damage your speaker and make a moron out of myself! []

I wondered if anyone had gone with 5 CMT-340's yet, looks like you may be the first ClutchBrake.

I wanted to let those of you who were interested know what David recommended after receiving my fax. In all honesty, I'm quite ashamed I didn't think of it. You should be too!

David's quite brilliant idea was... build 14" deep shelves for the rear surrounds then use CMT-340 centers resting horizontally. Problem solved! []

Thanks David!

Hi ClutchBrake,

Not brilliant by any means... Just experience...

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com