Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 340's and kids - what do you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek
    I don't know about your kids, but mine is 32+ lbs (she's huge) and very strong. Pushing over the speaker would not be a problem for her if she thinks it might be fun.
    Yeah...I was way off on my weight figure...what was I thinking!
    -curtis

are you afraid she will knock the whole stand over or just knock the speaker off the stand?

Quote Originally Posted by kinggimp82
    are you afraid she will knock the whole stand over or just knock the speaker off the stand?
    Either scenario is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek
    Either scenario is unacceptable.
    i was wondering if the stand is real solid and the speaker just slides around if pushed?

Default Ascends and Children

I have had my Ascends for about 2 years now and I have a 4 yr old little boy. We have an entertainment center with a rear projection dlp and the 340s for left and right to the sides of the entertainent center. The speaker on the left is also sitting on my sub. Up until last December I had a plastic fence in front of the entertainment center that wrapped around the speakers. (Toys R Us i think) It didn't look the best but it was only about 20 months and I was able to keep the speakers. My Sub is also down firing for the obvious reason :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kinggimp82
    i was wondering if the stand is real solid and the speaker just slides around if pushed?
    The stand is pretty solid because of the sand, but the speaker can move around on it because of the way they are mounted together. That was why I was toying with the idea of replacing the cardboard strap with something stronger.

However, once the speaker is more firmly attached to the stand might make it easier to tip over.

Quote Originally Posted by FibreKid
    I have had my Ascends for about 2 years now and I have a 4 yr old little boy. We have an entertainment center with a rear projection dlp and the 340s for left and right to the sides of the entertainent center. The speaker on the left is also sitting on my sub. Up until last December I had a plastic fence in front of the entertainment center that wrapped around the speakers. (Toys R Us i think) It didn't look the best but it was only about 20 months and I was able to keep the speakers. My Sub is also down firing for the obvious reason :-)
    I've seen these fences there. Initially we tried this but due to the layout of the room, it blocked a doorway and made it difficult to walk around the room.

I did an experiment this morning with my three in-ceiling surround speakers where I hooked them up to be the left, center and right channels and watched some movies.

The left and right channels sounded pretty good. It wasn't obvious that the sound was coming from above. The center speaker in the ceiling was much worse, though. You could definitely tell the voices were coming from the ceiling. Additionally, the dialog wasn't as clear as it is with the 340c, but I would have expected that. I didn't try any music as we only use this system for tv and movies.

So it looks like my best (and probably least expensive) option will be to get two more proficient c660 in-ceiling speakers and use them as my left and right channels. As an added benefit, I can now place the left speaker further away from the tv and hopefully improve the imaging some. The ideal spot for the left speaker would be in the middle of a doorway, so I've had to place both front channels right next to the tv.

I'll try my 340c with the in-ceiling speaker to start with and see how closely it matches sound-wise. Proficient makes a center channel to go with their in-ceiling stuff, but it probably isn't anywhere near as good as the 340c.

Anyone interested in a pair of 340's and stands?

Rather than a moat, how about an electric fence and a shock collar around the kids' necks?

Unfortunately, ceiling speakers for fronts would not do it for me. No imaging at all. You might be satisfied for movies, but music would be terrible.

My kid (now 7) has never harmed speakers. But until they are old enough to understand "don't touch the speakers or you're dead," there is a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Classpro
    My kid (now 7) has never harmed speakers. But until they are old enough to understand "don't touch the speakers or you're dead," there is a risk.
    For me, I think it helps a lot that when we are all in the same room with the audio equipment, that I don't make a big deal out of any of it.

The most interest that my kids have are how to turn it on, changed between the DVD or STB, and the volume.
    -curtis