Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 340SE: Minimum distance from a corner?

Default 340SE: Minimum distance from a corner?

Im trying to put together my living room & i need to know how close the 340 can be to a corner sidewall. Is there a minimum?

Quote Originally Posted by watsonusn
    Im trying to put together my living room & i need to know how close the 340 can be to a corner sidewall. Is there a minimum?
    With all ported speakers there's a minimum. I had the 340's corner loaded in my study awhile back and six inches was adaquet. I'd drop Ascend an email and get a definitive answer and post back.

David

I also have my 340's near the corner of my room as well. If don't run your speakers full range, it will be fine. I find that the ports do NOT get that much of a workout with "small" and 80hz XO. You have to get to some high SPL's for them to see much action. A few inches is plenty.
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

I have mine in corners as well. My only problem is that the lower frequencies are boomy, but I'm sure this is with most speakers. I'm looking into room treatments to hopefully clean/tighten it up.

Quote Originally Posted by nguay
    I have mine in corners as well. My only problem is that the lower frequencies are boomy, but I'm sure this is with most speakers.
    No, this is not normal. How close to each wall are you?

David

They're about a foot from the wall in the rear and about 17 inches on the side. One of them is the corner of the room and the other corner is where there is a fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by nguay
    They're about a foot from the wall in the rear and about 17 inches on the side. One of them is the corner of the room and the other corner is where there is a fireplace.
    that should be more than enough space for them to not be boomy... do you have the bass turned way up? my speakers have about the same distance from the walls as yours, and they aren't boomy at all...
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Bass isn't turned up. I'm using my Toshiba HD-A1 to play cds and it's connected to my Pio 1015 through multichannel in for 2 channel audio. It seems like the one in the corner of the room may be the worse of the two. There are glass doors about 3 feet or so from the corner also. I usually have the blinds closed when listening to music or watching a movie. I'm not sure what it is.
    Last edited by nguay; 03-12-2007 at 07:06 PM.

The one speaker that is 17" from the side, and 12" from the rear to the wall, is probably is probably getting a fair "bass boost".
    -curtis

yeh, being in a corner is going to enhance the bass some, but i don't think it should be "boomy". one of my speakers is in a corner, and it definitely gets more bass out of it than the one on the other side of the room (which is next to a closet with the doors removed, so it's almost a corner). i enjoy the slight boost in the bass since i don't have a sub (which is probably a good thing since i'm in a college apartment). it's not boomy by any means, though.

i'd say just play around with the settings some on the receiver and see if you can make it chill out a little...
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5