Thread: PS3 Owners,what receivers are you using?

Default PS3 Owners,what receivers are you using?

I am just about to place my order for some new Ascends for my home theater set up. For the people who are using their PS3's as their bluray/dvd player,what receivers are you using to take advantade of the new hd sound format? I am in the market for a new receiver also. Thanks for your help

Default Panny SA-XR57

I am using the Panasonic SA-XR57. The sound is amazing so far, unfortunately I have yet to get video, and am pretty sure the main problem is with the Panasonic or the combination of the Panny and my HDCP DVI TV. So, basically I really like the Panny for the audio with the Ascends, but until I figure out what is up with the video, I have to qualify my positive review of this reciever. But the sound has been so good that I had to speak up. It is good enough that I am looking at using component video for both my DVD player and the PS3 and HDMI for audio just to keepit.

Regards,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by blindcat7
    I am using the Panasonic SA-XR57. The sound is amazing so far, unfortunately I have yet to get video, and am pretty sure the main problem is with the Panasonic or the combination of the Panny and my HDCP DVI TV. So, basically I really like the Panny for the audio with the Ascends, but until I figure out what is up with the video, I have to qualify my positive review of this reciever. But the sound has been so good that I had to speak up. It is good enough that I am looking at using component video for both my DVD player and the PS3 and HDMI for audio just to keepit.
    are you using hdmi to go from the receiver to the tv? a lot of receivers will upconvert signals to whatever the best output is, but will not down-convert. i don't know if the xr-57 supports down-converting, but if it doesn't and you were using hdmi from the ps3 to receiver and then going with a different connection from the receiver to the tv, this would cause you to not get any video. that's the only thing i can think of...
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

The Panny recievers will not convert or transcode video signals. What I am talking about here is using HDMI to DVI.

My TV is a Hitachi 51SWX20B, which is HD ready and goes up to 1080i. What is happening is that I can get video from my Oppo 970 DVD player hooked up directly via HDMI to DVI or through my monoprice HDMI switch to the TV, but not from switch to reciever to TV. I have not been able to get video via HDMI from the PS3 at all. However, I get audio from both via HDMI through the switch to the reciever. There is at least one person on AVS who is using the same display as me with their PS3 via HDMI to DVI.

The main reason I still reccomend the reciever is that I realize that the problem is likely something that could be sorted out. I have the combined problem of this being my first time dealing with HDMI, the last time I set up new hardware I had enough vision left to read onscreen menus, which now appear as just-beyond-legible blurs to me. The friends and family who kindly act as my eyes for these things find my A/V gear to be slightly less frightening than a swimming pool full of angry rattlesnakes.

I still have yet to see if there is some setting in the Hitachi that needs changing, have not looked for settings that need to be changed in the reciever, and have not tried disabling all but 480i/p on the PS3. The first two were things I never thought of. I thought that the TV, being only a "HD ready" set would not have a lot to do with how to set up an incoming signal, and I thought that, since the reciever was no frills, that the video in would simply be plug and play. The latter I just never thought of. My display is supposed to do 1080i, so I just had them set it to that and ran.

All of this is why I still think that the Pannys are a heck of a deal. The sound with the Ascends, I have 340SEs up front and a pair of 170s as surrounds all with a Hsu VTF-3 HO for sub duty, sound amazing even just using it with my Dish Network non HD. My video problems seem to be an exception and may only be because of the inexperience of myself and my help along with the oddness of a blind person trying to set up unfamiliar equipment. with the help of people who wouldn't know the difference between a component video cable and an optical digital cable.

Regards,

Chris