Thread: 170 + T-amp??

Default 170 + T-amp??

Hi:
    What do you think of this amp for 170 for nearfield listening? Anybody tried this combination??

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/p...mps/t-amp.html

Since, there's a limited deskspace, I'm looking at this possibility..

While I have not personally heard the T-amp I have heard good things about it for its price. The biggest problem is going to be the power output. You will not be able to play at very loud volumes and you will lose a lot of your dynamic range. The 170's are fairly easy to to drive, and you might be OK, for nearfield listening where you are keeping volumes low. It is only like $30, so if you can find it give it a try and report back. Just don't try to push it to much as you don't want to clip it.
    Last edited by Jorge_Burrito; 03-29-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Classpro has a T-amp. You could drop him a PM to get some good feedback.

David

FWIW, I briefly ran my 170 (classics) off a t-amp. Mainly out of curiosity -- the speakers are too big for my desk, but volume was perfectly adequate for an office and the sound was nice and clean. Perhaps a bit less bass than with a more powerful amp, but nothing too noticeable.

Default Thanks

Thank you guys for the feedback. I'll see if I can get one from B&M store with 30 days guarantee and keep it if it works. I heard Target sells these.

I have FOUR T-Amps! Only three of them are in full time use right now, all with 12v 3A regulated power supply obtained cheaply from BG Supply, and older bookshelf speakers. I have also used the T-Amp with an Sealed Lead Acid battery. I don't really notice a difference between battery and AC power supply, but I have not used them with really high-end speakers. I think the T-Amp sounds quite good - very clean and natural sounding. It doesn't have a lot of power, however, and you can drive it to clipping if you play loud with bookshelf speakers. I have not used the Ascends with the T-Amp, so I can't comment on whether they are efficient enough for appropriate spl levels. Also, I get much better sound with my M-Audio transit sound card than with my Xitel Pro sound card, so the source is (obviously) important.