Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New review and interview of DavidF!

Default New review and interview of DavidF!

The April issue of Affordable Audio has a review of the CMT-340SE and an interview of DavidF!

http://www.affordableaudio.org
    -curtis

Good read, thanx!!!
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

I agree with David F's priorities in speaker design. It's what is inside the box that counts the most,(the guts). From there each and every part is of equal importance. I have been listening to my 170's for about 2wks now, and I must say that I am very pleased.

they said SE stood for "special edition"...

also...
    But to be perfectly frank, I have a very special pair of Ascends that I absolutely love listening too and I feel compare well with some of the best I have ever heard.
    any insight on what makes these particular ascends special?
    Last edited by drewface; 04-01-2007 at 02:39 PM.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by drewface

also...

Nice catch drewface.I missed it.

My guess is perhaps this is a new Ascend, perhaps something to be introduced in the future ,or maybe an enhancement to a current model that is going to lead the way to further upgrades in the current line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by jvillas
    Nice catch drewface.I missed it.

My guess is perhaps this is a new Ascend, perhaps something to be introduced in the future ,or maybe an enhancement to a current model that is going to lead the way to further upgrades in the current line-up.
    haha. could be, i suppose. i was thinking more along the lines of them being the first pair of ascends dave ever produced, or just a specially tuned pair of a current model that he modified especially for his room or something... could be something more, though.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

haha. could be, i suppose. i was thinking more along the lines of them being the first pair of ascends dave ever produced, or just a specially tuned pair of a current model that he modified especially for his room or something... could be something more, though.

I suspect your closer to the truth than I am.

An excellent review,and comparison, good choice of music. I have often used Kieth Jarrett's solo piano music to evaluate speakers.It is one of the most difficult instruments for a loudspeaker to reproduce with accuracy, and realism.The Grand Piano covers many octives,thus gives a loudspeaker a really good workout. I own the 170's, and I felt they did an excellent job. Glad to see the 340's did too.

great review!
    Jon O.

Smile C'mon Dave...Share with us..

Dave,
    Will you take special order to have my new pair sound like yours??

Hey guys!

I had the pleasure of writing the Affordable Audio review...thanks for checking it out.

Ouch...sorry 'bout that! I can see if Mark (the editor) can correct the error, but in the past he's been pretty loathe to modify the pdfs once they're live...

I asked Dave directly if these were a new product or simply something with sentimental value. He told me next to nothing, but seemed to imply they were both...

Quote Originally Posted by jvillas
    I have often used Kieth Jarrett's solo piano music to evaluate speakers.It is one of the most difficult instruments for a loudspeaker to reproduce with accuracy, and realism.The Grand Piano covers many octives,thus gives a loudspeaker a really good workout.
    Spot on. Accurate piano reproduction truly separates the men from the boys (so to speak) in speaker design...not just for the frequency range, but also in the complex harmonics & overtones they produce. It's also a difficult instrument to record well, so I'm always on the lookout for great piano albums. Let me know if you have any favorites!

Through the whole process, Dave's been a 100% class act. I hope that came through in the re/interview.