Thread: Xbox 360 HD-DVD Add-on

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Xbox 360 HD-DVD Add-on

Well, bought the HD-DVD addon last week. Only watched a couple movies (parts of King Kong and World Trade Center) but am so far impressed with the picture quality. KK looked the same as the showing on HBO-HD I saw a couple months back. What's nice is I can rent HD DVDs from Blockbuster.com without any addt'l charges.

I know this is an audio forum but I haven't really had a chance to give it a workout (have a new 1mo old, so no "ref levels" for me for a while). I'm not too up on the new audio formats, but from what I know, without HDMI or analog outs (I think the add-on converts all audio to DD via optical) cannot get full resolution of DD+, TrueHD, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just thought I'd throw it out there for someone interested in dabbling in one of the HD formats w/o spending an arm or leg (that is, assuming you already have the xbox360).

Do you have a 1080p capable TV? That is where the picture quality will shine! It would be better than the HBO-HD showing.
    -curtis

I don't have the Add-on, I do have a Tosh HD-A1 though.

From what I gather, all audio from the add on is DD for now, supposedly DTS is coming via firmware update, but I thought I saw that it was gonna be released when they release alot of other stuff as well(springtime).
    Amir over at AVS has stated a few things along this line.

I've watched both KK on HD DVD, and HBO-HD, and the HD DVD version is better.
    I compared them, back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by muzz
    I don't have the Add-on, I do have a Tosh HD-A1 though.

From what I gather, all audio from the add on is DD for now, supposedly DTS is coming via firmware update, but I thought I saw that it was gonna be released when they release alot of other stuff as well(springtime).
    Amir over at AVS has stated a few things along this line.

I've watched both KK on HD DVD, and HBO-HD, and the HD DVD version is better.
    I compared them, back and forth.
    Thanks for the info. I've read of some similar FW updates too.

Yeah, I shouldn't have deleted KK from my Tivo, so I could've compared. BTW, how's the audio on the Toshiba? Significantly better than DD/DTS? Like the difference between CD vs DVDA/SACD?

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Thanks for the info. I've read of some similar FW updates too.

Yeah, I shouldn't have deleted KK from my Tivo, so I could've compared. BTW, how's the audio on the Toshiba? Significantly better than DD/DTS? Like the difference between CD vs DVDA/SACD?
    It's hard to describe how much better it is, but I feel TRUEHD is a fairly significant upgrade myself.
    It just seems cleaner,clearer, and more open.

Sorry for the description, but, like I said, it's hard to describe.

HD DVD, at this time, does only 1080P@60hz, folks are awaiting a FW upgrade, that will allow 1080P@24hz, which will matter only to folks that have 1080P/24hz capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Do you have a 1080p capable TV? That is where the picture quality will shine! It would be better than the HBO-HD showing.
    No. Older Pio 768 plasma. I've read you need >50" or so to get max benefit too.

I'm sure HD-DVD will look better on a 1080p set, but isn't only BluRay transmitted in 1080p? Or does it not matter? I saw a BD setup in a B&M recently on a 1080p set and that definitely looked better than HDDVD on my TV. But, was different movie and larger screen, but can't remember what type.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    No. Older Pio 768 plasma. I've read you need >50" or so to get max benefit too.

I'm sure HD-DVD will look better on a 1080p set, but isn't only BluRay transmitted in 1080p? Or does it not matter? I saw a BD setup in a B&M recently on a 1080p set and that definitely looked better than HDDVD on my TV. But, was different movie and larger screen, but can't remember what type.
    HD-DVD does 1080p too. When it comes to video performance, there is no difference between HD-DVD and BluRay.

On 1080p output on 1080p displays very nice.
    -curtis