Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: About to build new system

Default About to build new system

Ive been reading around about Ascend and am getting interested in getting a couple 340SE. Forgive me if i show to much newbness about this but home audio is new to me.
    I already have an Infinity PS12, and i was wandering the cost/benefit of spending $600 on these speakers since, its not that easy to dish out that cash ( are they drastically that good over lets say a denon 5.1 home in box theather system?) Anything else to convince me to purchase these?
    Also what would be my best bet for a decently priced/good quality reciever as i have no idea differences between all recievers, i have a hd capable tv and an audio optical cable already if it makes a difference.
    I will be using this system mostly for music(rap), but as well as many movies and games.
    Any other information that can help me is appreciated.
    Last edited by tripp1n; 03-17-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Hello tripp1n and welcome!

Ascend 340SE will definitely be a huge improvement over any home theater in a box system. Even the 170SE are awesome.

For receivers you can definitely get by with something in the $300 - $500 range. Something from Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, or Onkyo would be good. And later on you can upgrade that subwoofer.
    Last edited by Mike^S; 03-18-2007 at 10:00 AM.

i agree with mike^s--any "real" speaker will beat a home theater in the box by a large margin. i'd much much rather have a stereo setup of the 170s than a htib 5.1 setup (and that's what i had for a long time b/4 adding a sub, center and surrounds). so if the 340s seem out of your range, definitely consider the 170s (or 170s plus a good sub) as mike^s suggested.

as for a receiver, a few of us here have the panasonic xr55 and find it quite enjoyable. it can still be had from a few places for around $200. the xr57 has a few more features and is more widely available, but costs a bit more. both are good bang-for-the-buck receivers.

I second the suggestion of Panasonic SA-XR 55 or 57. The only downside with the 340s is that the lowest crossover is 80hz. I suspect you lose a significant amount of the benefit of the 340s over the 170s by crossing at 80hz instead of, say 60hz, when you use a sub. If you are using full range without a sub, then of course you will get the full benefit of the 340s. I wish they made a true digital receiver like the Panasonic with a lower crossover point. It is a great sounding receiver.

I was actually considering the xr55 before, but i think i saw people bashing it somewhere compared to other recievers before so i forgot about it, anymore info?
    Does the price difference between the 170s and 340s really account for the sound quality, anything that can convince me ?
    Also i dont understand do you mean that crossover will be lower if i use the xr reciever or with any reciever and what does crossover differences mean(just that itll be more bass??)
    Last edited by tripp1n; 03-18-2007 at 05:16 PM.

I have two SA-XR55s in my house. My brother has the 57, and several friends have bought them too. Everyone I know who has one likes it a lot. Sound quality using digital input is very impressive. The only negative thing I've ever read is that it's "bright." I don't think it's bright. Very clean, accurate. I'm using it for two channel. It is the best sounding receiver I've heard or owned. I have a higher-end Marantz, and the Panasonic is superior sounding, IMO. Unfortunately, I need a huge amp for that system, and the Panasonic does not have the juice (the Marantz has preamp outs for my big power amplifier). Otherwise, I'd replace the Marantz.

When you hook a sub to the receiver, you have to set the crossover point for the fronts and the sub. The panasonic has crossover points at 80hz, 100hz, and higher. It does not allow you to set a crossover point lower than 80hz. So if you want to use a sub, you will not be sending low frequencies to the front speakers - the low frequencies will be directed to the sub. I think the main advantage of the 340s over the 170s is the added low frequency extension enabled by the two drivers and larger cabinet. Crossing over at 80hz, you will not be getting much benefit from the added low frequency capability of the 340s. Of course, if you were to run the front speakers full range and not use a sub, then there would be a significant advantage to the 340s over the 170s - more bass response.

If you were to go that way, and use a sub, I would think the 170s would be very close to the 340s because of the 80hz crossover limit. Some have suggested that having two drivers makes each work less hard, and so you get a bit less distortion with the 340s even crossed at 80hz. Someone else said the tweeter, while very similar, has a slightly better implementation on the 340. I don't know whether this would be noticeable or whether it would, in your mind, justify the price difference (personally, I doubt the 340's extra cost would be justified with an 80hz crossover point). It would be nice to hear from David F. whether he thinks there is a meaningful acoustic advantage to the 340 over the 170 with an 80hz crossover point.

I have heard the 340SE with the XR55, and was quite taken with the sound. I have not heard the 170se, but I imagine they would have a strong family resemblance. I am not yet an Ascend owner, but am thinking seriously about getting a pair of the 170s. If only the stock market would stop going down! :-)
    Last edited by Classpro; 03-18-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Well, I always cross at 80hz and I just went from the 170SE's to 340SE mains and the difference was noticable right away. The 340's can definately play louder with less distortion than the 170's. The 170's are GREAT speakers, but the 340's are just better. Also, by crossing the 340's with the 80hz XO using a very capable sub, I don't think you lose anything. I think running the 340's as "large", a 60hz XO may possibly be better.
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

thanks for replies guys,ive learned from this thread already, seeing as how i would like to get the best out of my speakers, and guessing the 340s would be my best buy atm to be futureproof anyone have a link to a good 60Hz reciever they recommend to be paired with them, preferabbly under $400

I'll throw my support for the panny 55 or 57.

If you do upgrade to the Ascends, you'll have a night(s) like I did where you cant get enough of what you're hearing. Instruments sounds different/better/real, vocals are spot on, etc, etc, ect.

The result will be one or many of the following. Air will smell fresher, living will be worth it again, the sun will look brighter, your wife will go from a 7 to an 8, an 8 to a 9, (you get the drift on that one), you'll step lighter, money will start rolling in because you work happier knowing you have those speaks at home waiting for you, music will seem real, movies will be an event, and you'll just have a rosier view on life and you'll want to name your next-born David/Fabrikant/Fab/Kant/Dave or any other combination you can think of. Oh, and sex will be better too.

it was so worth my money. My wife thinks I'm a bit off my rocker, but she says she's happy seeing me so happy as i sit on my couch flipping from cd to tv to dvd to tuner just looking to hear something i've never heard before from the same old source.

im gonna hold you to it bolu!
    Ok i guess since everyone here is recommending the panasonic i think ill get it, now does the hdmi that the xr57 offer over the 55 worth the sound quality for $100 extra it costs?
    And can anyone else confirm price/quality differences between the 340se and 170s when using it with this reciever.
    Hoping someone can push me to finnaly make the right decision so i can get this system up and goin.