Thread: HD-Radio stereo receiver

Default HD-Radio stereo receiver

i'm trying to find a stereo receiver that is able to receive HD-Radio broadcasts to power a pair of outdoor speakers me and my dad are putting in. HD-Radio tuners seem to be more or less standard in car stereos nowadays, but finding them in a home stereo receiver is turning out to be quite a task. the only ones i've been able to find are a couple of Denon's top-line models, which are WAY more than we're looking to spend.

if anyone has any suggestions on the matter, i'd appreciate the help.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

OK, I'm obviously not up to date with radio these days. How do you know which stations are broadcast in HD and are they free? I have no idea if my Sony AVR will do HD Radio but I'd like to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrsl
    OK, I'm obviously not up to date with radio these days. How do you know which stations are broadcast in HD and are they free? I have no idea if my Sony AVR will do HD Radio but I'd like to find out.
    HD radio is broadcast for free along side fm radio. it's a digital signal, so a lot more information is able to be sent, making the sound quality better, as well as allowing more stations to be broadcast at neighboring frequencies with much less to no interference among each other. i haven't heard hd radio myself, but all the stuff i've read on it has been positive, claiming cd quality sound.

most major radio stations are broadcasting in hd now. when it first took off, a lot of stations were pushing the fact that they were "now broadcasting in hd", but that trend has pretty much died off.

i'm gonna say your sony avr doesn't have hd radio. i just checked out sony's website and even their flagship es-line receiver ($2000) doesn't have an hd radio tuner. from what i understand, if your receiver has hd-radio, it will automatically pick up hd signals while in fm mode. if no hd signal is found, it simply plays the standard fm signal. if you look around at some car stereo receivers/head units, you'll notice that a lot of them have hd radio listed as a feature.
    Last edited by drewface; 03-15-2007 at 08:14 PM.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5