Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ascends vs X-Series

Quote Originally Posted by Classpro
    I don't really understand the idea of a sub being "specifically designed to work with the speakers." The sub's in a different location than the speakers, so you would need to adjust it just the same as a Hsu or SVS sub. It's hard for me to see the advantage of it - especially since there is nothing really unique or special about the finish of Ascend speakers that would require special matching to the appearance of the sub. I think a real floorstanding speaker would help round out the line.
    you may be right. i don't know a whole lot about what goes into designing a subwoofer, but i assume that making a sub match up with a set of speakers could be supported by its design from the start. i'm talking sound here, not finish. obviously the sub is going to have to be adjusted, but main speakers need to be, too, in order for them to blend together correctly.

every room is going to respond to all the speakers differently, including subs. having a speaker designed with the other speakers in the setup in mind helps this, though. it's going to be easier to match a cbm-170 with another cbm-170 than with, say, an AV123 X-LS bookshelf speaker. i figured it would be similar with matching a sub to a particular set of speakers.

plus... having a complete speaker system all under one brand name would be pretty nice, as well!
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quinn: That's an interesting point about UPS. I checked quickly, and couldn't find any shipping prices. Axiom and Aperion have free shipping. AV-123 doesn't list prices for shipping towers. UPS ships by weight, I think, so unless the small tower would be out of size, I wouldn't imagine there would be much cost difference. Of course, there would be savings for Ascend having one box size for centers and fronts, but I suspect most people would prefer a real tower (I may be wrong - maybe it would be worth asking. I know I'd prefer it, even if shipping were a little bit extra).

Quote Originally Posted by Classpro
    Quinn: That's an interesting point about UPS. I checked quickly, and couldn't find any shipping prices. Axiom and Aperion have free shipping. AV-123 doesn't list prices for shipping towers. UPS ships by weight, I think, so unless the small tower would be out of size, I wouldn't imagine there would be much cost difference. Of course, there would be savings for Ascend having one box size for centers and fronts, but I suspect most people would prefer a real tower (I may be wrong - maybe it would be worth asking. I know I'd prefer it, even if shipping were a little bit extra).
    AV123 makes you put the speakers in your cart and give all your shipping and contact info before they give you the shipping cost. I did it for a pair of 450s to central Texas and it was $94 in shipping that is $42 more than a pair of 340s and matching stands. UPS has extra charges for boxes that exceed a certain size.

The free shipping from Axiom is new. I wonder if they are one upping av123's freeshipping on bookshelves or if av123 went to free shipping on bookshelves in response to Axiom's free shipping.
    Last edited by Quinn; 03-15-2007 at 07:41 PM.

I don't think AV123 has free shipping. The shipping is only free if you don't keep the speakers - at least that's my understanding.

Seems smart to offer money back guaranty. I suspect few people will send the speakers back - except for some people who are doing comparisons.

I think it is important to note that while we charge you $26 for shipping a pair of 340 SE, the actual UPS ground shipping costs are considerably higher.

We will, in fact, be slightly raising our shipping costs in the coming months to keep up with ever increasing UPS charges.

Not to worry though, I promise the increase won't be much.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

It cost $38. to ship a pair of X-LS's one way last year.

David

Default strange

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    AV123 makes you put the speakers in your cart and give all your shipping and contact info before they give you the shipping cost. I did it for a pair of 450s to central Texas and it was $94 in shipping that is $42 more than a pair of 340s and matching stands. UPS has extra charges for boxes that exceed a certain size.

The free shipping from Axiom is new. I wonder if they are one upping av123's freeshipping on bookshelves or if av123 went to free shipping on bookshelves in response to Axiom's free shipping.

First, I am not slamming anyone, just noting something... For free shipping to be new, they also incresed the price of the speakers by about the same price the shipping would have been so the cost is the same, just sounds like it is being put into the speakers. Still, for the money, they are pretty nice speakers!

You are paying for shipping one way or another, whether you pay 100% as a separate charge or some or all of it is built in to price of speaker; there is no free lunch. The one point of differentiation with av123 and some others is that they cover shipping on both ends if you return the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Droht
    The one point of differentiation with av123 and some others is that they cover shipping on both ends if you return the product.
    True, but somebody eats or compensates for those costs too. I think the return rate on all of these products is relatively low though.
    -curtis

I've shipped speakers, electronics, and various personal items through UPS, FedEX, DHL, and the USPS, and I'll be darned if the regular old USPS Priority mail isn't the fastest and cheapest by a wide margin. It's all I ever use anymore.