Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ascends vs X-Series

Default Bravo!

Dave you just made my day, the pride in your work definitely shows in your products. Every single day when I turn on these speakers I smile ear to ear.
    Who couldn't want to do business with someone like this?
    Jeff

Last Saturday I had some free time and went to the local Hi-End audio shop to audition a couple of speakers that I'd read about: the Gallo 3.1 and a set of Usher Towers. Both were impressive in their own way with the Gallo projecting a huge soundstage and the Ushers soundiing sweet as honey running through tube amps. Both are in the $3,000 range if purchased new. As good as they are, I would not trade my 340SE's for either of them. There is a level of realism in instruments and voice projected by the Ascends that even these fine speakers could not beat! With a well integreated sub, the Ascends give you true hi-end performance at a mass market price.

There is no question that speakers costing 3X or more can do things that the 340SE's can't. But are they better? Not necessarily. You've got to think long and hard about whether all that extra cash is really buying a sound that is much superior.

I've not heard AV123 products, but in the $600 to $700 price range, I've not heard anything that comes close to the 340SE's in the B&M stores. It really has me curious about what David could produce in the $1500 to $2,000 price range. If the price/performance ratio of the 340SE's was maintained - well, that would really be something to hear!

It does my heart good to see someone with integrity, doing what they love, and being successful in the business. Dave is clearly a class act and a rarity in today's business world. If he can make the business go without having to resort to marketing hype in a world where consumers are programmed to salivate on cue, that's as great an achievement as the prodcts themselves! I wish him continued success!

There is tremendous hype over at AV123. They have had problems delivering products, however. Their inexpensive amplifier was supposed to be delivered more than a year ago. Their bookshelf speaker is very pretty and very reasonably priced, but did not sound nearly as good as the Ascends. Of course, the Ascends were quite a bit more money and the Ascend's cabinet is not nearly as fancy. I have not purchased either speaker, but am thinking seriously about buying Ascends. It's a quality product.

Quote Originally Posted by Droht
    I started my career in QA and R&D in the plastics industry and just can't help but being impressed by that approach.
    I'm sure that listening to speakers is more fun that looking at plastics though

A friend of mine once worked in a factory doing QA. In other words, her job was to sit down and watch bottled pickles pass in front of her all day long. I think she lasted one or two days. She said she dreamed about pickles for a few weeks after that

It really has me curious about what David could produce in the $1500 to $2,000 price range. If the price/performance ratio of the 340SE's was maintained - well, that would really be something to hear!
    You could sign me up for a pair!

Quote Originally Posted by Galwin
    It really has me curious about what David could produce in the $1500 to $2,000 price range. If the price/performance ratio of the 340SE's was maintained - well, that would really be something to hear!
    There are many of us that would like to hear something like that!! But you got to wonder if it makes good business sense for Ascend to venture into that area.
    -curtis

Why wouldn't it? I'm sure every single person who has ever bought Ascend speakers would consider the newer speakers, and with Ascend's good reputation, even if the speaker was somewhat average (which I would doubt), Ascend would still sell more than a few.

If av123.com can afford to sell 30 different speakers (and I don't think that number is an exaggeration), Ascend should manage to sell 4

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt
    Why wouldn't it? I'm sure every single person who has ever bought Ascend speakers would consider the newer speakers, and with Ascend's good reputation, even if the speaker was somewhat average (which I would doubt), Ascend would still sell more than a few.

If av123.com can afford to sell 30 different speakers (and I don't think that number is an exaggeration), Ascend should manage to sell 4
    I don't know about that. As I make my purchase decision I like the fact that David is totally focused on a fairly short product line. And I'm not particularly thrilled that Onix is working on a slew of new products and focusing less (my assumption) on manufacturing speakers I may order now.

Read the story about the time he invested when he upgraded the 170s and it becomes clear why he isn't adding more speakers. I think it might also require a different approach to sell $2k speakers, for instance. More emphasis on aesthetics for sure, and likely the need to market a bit differently.

well good luck finding speakers from a company who offers LESS than 4 speakers then! If Ascend released a fourth speaker, it would absolutely take nothing away from the HTM200, 170SE or 340SE. I'm not trying to point you away from Ascend, but its a bit silly to base your purchase decision on that...

You have a point though on Ascend's design philosophy vs other companies... Others buy drivers here and there, make a crossover and a cabinet and bing bang shaddabing a new product. David's approach seems to start by designing the drivers (I believe the woofers are proprietary design) and going from there... I'm guessing he'd want to use the same approach for a 1500$ speaker and this seems to take more than a few weeks...

Viewed like that, it somewhat looks unlikely... Still I would love to buy a speaker by Ascend (DF) where they had less price constraints and could put out a product with less compromise.

I'm dreaming very heavily braced cabinets with 1 inch mdf (100% inert) maybe with a special baffle (if that really helps), improved tweeter and woofers, exotic crossover parts (again, if it really helps..).

But... Realistically... Seems unlikely to happen... Unless they got a new employee to insure QA and focus all energy on this new speaker? Can we vote by a show of hands? Which would you rather see, a new and improved 170SE/340SE, or a brand new spanking speaker at 1000-1500$ price range to upgrade your current 340SE to?
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 03-14-2007 at 07:19 AM.

On reputation, it is much easier to try something under $1K than $2K....especially for new customers.

For those of us that have experienced Ascend speakers, it is much easier.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt
    well good luck finding speakers from a company who offers LESS than 4 speakers then! If Ascend released a fourth speaker, it would absolutely take nothing away from the HTM200, 170SE or 340SE. I'm not trying to point you away from Ascend, but its a bit silly to base your purchase decision on that...
    To combat the "less than four" comment, a little Oliver Wendell Holmes comes to mind:

LITTLE I ask; my wants are few;
    I only wish a hut of stone,
    (A very plain brown stone will do,)
    That I may call my own;
    And close at hand is such a one,
    In yonder street that fronts the sun.

Plain food is quite enough for me;
    Three courses are as good as ten;--
    If Nature can subsist on three,
    Thank Heaven for three. Amen!

I always thought cold victual nice;--
    My choice would be vanilla-ice.

I care not much for gold or land;--
    Give me a mortgage here and there,--
    Some good bank-stock, some note of hand,
    Or trifling railroad share,--
    I only ask that Fortune send
    A little more than I shall spend.

Honors are silly toys, I know,
    And titles are but empty names;
    I would, perhaps, be Plenipo,--
    But only near St. James;
    I'm very sure I should not care
    To fill our Gubernator's chair.

Jewels are baubles; 't is a sin
    To care for such unfruitful things;--
    One good-sized diamond in a pin,--
    Some, not so large, in rings,--
    A ruby, and a pearl, or so,
    Will do for me;--I laugh at show.

My dame should dress in cheap attire;
    (Good, heavy silks are never dear -
    I own perhaps I might desire
    Some shawls of true Cashmere,--
    Some marrowy crapes of China silk,
    Like wrinkled skins on scalded milk.

I would not have the horse I drive
    So fast that folks must stop and stare;
    An easy gait--two forty-five--
    Suits me; I do not care;--
    Perhaps, for just a single spurt,
    Some seconds less would do no hurt.

Of pictures, I should like to own
    Titians aud Raphaels three or four,--
    I love so much their style and tone,
    One Turner, and no more,
    (A landscape,--foreground golden dirt,--
    The sunshine painted with a squirt.)

Of books but few,--some fifty score
    For daily use, and bound for wear;
    The rest upon an upper floor;--
    Some little luxury there
    Of red morocco's gilded gleam
    And vellum rich as country cream.

Busts, cameos, gems,--such things as these,
    Which others often show for pride,
    I value for their power to please,
    And selfish churls deride;--
    One Stradivarius, I confess,
    Two Meerschaums, I would fain possess.

Wealth's wasteful tricks I will not learn,
    Nor ape the glittering upstart fool;--
    Shall not carved tables serve my turn,
    But all must be of buhl?
    Give grasping pomp its double share,--
    I ask but one recumbent chair.

Thus humble let me live and die,
    Nor long for Midas' golden touch;
    If Heaven more generous gifts deny,
    I shall not miss them much,--
    Too grateful for the blessing lent
    Of simple tastes and mind content!

The point being, be thankful for what we have in the three that are provided and produced so well in deed!!! Keep up the great work Dave, we all love the speakers and your continued support and devotion to your product and our service - AC