Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A quick thank you ....

Thumbs up A quick thank you ....

A few weeks back I took some of the advice here and bought 2-170's and 2-340's. To compliment these I went for the advice of a couple that advised a HK to mellow the sound, was finding my old Cornwall's with a Yamaha receiver a little harsh. I chose the HK AVR 340 .... lots of power and very clean without the bite on the high end. Too bad Dave can't ship the HK to Canada, had to resort to a US seller on ebay .... seems unfair to Dave but his hands were tied. Like all other reports the service was great. That adjective doesn't really do him justice but I'll probably spell exemplary wrong.

For my center channel I utilized my old Energy center speaker and the sub is the HSU V2-MK2. This system is wonderful. I'll start another thread on the HK AVR 340 as I could use some tips on the surround modes.

Thanks guys, your recommendations on these purchases were spot on. Now if only the wife would quit telling me to turn it down, any suggestions here .... that are printable?

...bigd

Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    Now if only the wife would quit telling me to turn it down, any suggestions here .... that are printable? ...bigd
    Hey bigd, if ya ever figure that one out, you'll be a rich man.

David

Hi David,

Actually, thought I had it figured once, solved the problem but it didn't meet your criteria for making one rich .... actually costs in the neighborhood of 50%.
    Good news is the replacement makes me feel like a million dollars

A few weeks back I took some of the advice here and bought 2-170's and 2-340's.

For my center channel I utilized my old Energy center speaker and the sub is the HSU V2-MK2. This system is wonderful. I'll start another thread on the HK AVR 340 as I could use some tips on the surround modes.
    You're using 340 L/R and Energy center?

Hi Grayson,

That is correct, I have an Energy center channel speaker approx. 8 years old. Can't give you the model # easily because I was not able to place it where I wanted. It sits behind the plasma tv that sits in a wall cove, not the best location but it does give me a center channel, voice frequencies come from behind the tv. Would have gone with the 340 (or the best center channel recommendation) but it seeemed like a waste to place a new better quality center in behind the tv. All other speakers are on the stands sold by Dave.

I'm limited to this placement but seeing as how you asked, do you feel an Ascend center option would increase my experience significantly?

..... bigd

I'm limited to this placement but seeing as how you asked, do you feel an Ascend center option would increase my experience significantly?
    Properly placed, I think it would definitely benefit the experience, otherwise, I am not so sure.
    -curtis

Hi Curtis,

You nailed it, the key word is 'properly', unable to do that as I am stuck with a behind the tv placement. There is a 30 sq. ft. area behind the tv but maybe it may sound better placing the Energy center facing up, in lieu of the back of the tv. Dolby Digital utilizes a little more main left and right for vocals .... but that is a work-around that may be costing me quality on some sources.

.... big d

i'd almost think not having a center at all would sound better than having the speaker behind the tv...

when you say "behind," do you mean the speaker is facing the back of the tv, or is it at least aimed above or below the tv? having the tv in the way i'm sure would do some really bad things to the sound quality regardless of how good your speaker is.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

You might want to try a phantom center instead.

Configure your receiver for no center channel and see how you like it.

edit: drewface beat me to it.
    -curtis

Hi Drewface,

I have a hunch you and Curtis are politely telling me to get rid of the Energy It is old and it wasn't their best. That may be a good idea, I'll play around with the suggestions.

I've yet to try facing it up at the largest part of the cove but the 42" plasma fills the cove with only 1" of space around the tv. I do want good vocals for the tv signal. Thanks for the tips ....

bigd