Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ascends vs X-Series

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCallas
    I've shipped speakers, electronics, and various personal items through UPS, FedEX, DHL, and the USPS, and I'll be darned if the regular old USPS Priority mail isn't the fastest and cheapest by a wide margin. It's all I ever use anymore.
    I agree, but I hate the 70lb weight limit!
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

I am the proud owner of AV123's rockets.. 4 x 150's and a 100 center and ufw10. I like them, and I think they sound great. Like many, I was ready to pull the trigger on the little cubes from b***. A friend had rockets and showed me the way.

All that said, even the smallest of the rockets are too big in my opinion. (They don't make the smaller center anymore). The current 250 are roughly the same size as mine. I wish I had known of Ascend before I made my purchse. Everyone has different criteria but I think I made a good decision with the rockets but not a great one.

Although I didn't make my purchase yet, Dave was extremely helpful and patient with me. I will be buying from Ascend when I do our living room sound system.

PK

Quote Originally Posted by kinger
    All that said, even the smallest of the rockets are too big in my opinion. (They don't make the smaller center anymore).
    Good point. For a decicated home theatre, size probably isn't an issue but for those of us who use our livingrooms as our HT, size is probably going to a BIG issue with the wife/SO. (Don't go there, guys. I know what you're thinking. )

David

David, there are a few advantages to being single again. Don't have to worry about passing the wife S/O test and to be honest my two daughters only encourage my two addictions to audio and astronomy. Lots of speakers in the living room and the dining room looks like a telescope showroom.

Tomorrow the 340SE's and stands I ordered will be here and I'm looking forward to hearing how they'll sound with the Outlaw RR2150 and Cambridge Audio CD Player I recently upgraded to. I've been very happy with the recent additions and looked a long time for the right speaker set up. I looked at AV123, Axiom and several others but like what I read here on the forum and like the idea that DaveF personally listens to every speaker before it's shipped. Reminds me of a Stellarvue, a small manufacturer of high quality limited run telescopes, the owner personally star tests every scope before it's shipped, if he wouldn't use it he won't ship it. To date I've had 6 Stellarvue's and still have 4, it's tough to beat companies like Stellarvue and Ascend that have owners that are hands on in all aspects of the business and have the passion to follow follow through with their vision. Aren't we the consumer lucky?!

Thanks to all here for the great input I know the 340 SE's probably won't be my last purchase from Ascend.

Chris

I don't think divulging some new speaker developments is a bad idea. I'm sure there is plenty of interest in a floorstander from Ascend but with no info regarding design, price, dimensions, or anything else, prospective customers probably aren't going to hold off on future purchases from other companies. On the other hand, if we knew what Dave was cooking....