Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which receiver for Ascends? HK or Denon?

Liz.

What Ascend set up are you running with the 1070? You feel the receiver is powerful enough on it own?
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Ascend 340C (classic) center and soon a pair of HTm-200's. I also have the HSU VTF-2 MK2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gov
    Liz.

What Ascend set up are you running with the 1070? You feel the receiver is powerful enough on it own?

I appreciate your suggestion Liz. I've never considered Outlaw before. I took a look at them, but it seems they're out of my price range.

Given your description of Denon receivers however, it sounds like they'd be perfect for me. I plan on using the receiver for mostly movies and TV (maybe 95%).

Shareware, IMHO, SQ rules!!!!!! The Denon receivers do NOT sound good to me. They are finer with movies yet so many are as movies tracks are IMHO not too difficult. Set yourself up with SQ first, Movies 2nd!

Outlaw Audio 1070 rules and is so popular. The unit weighs 40 LBS!

Get the 1070 and you will want to throw away your Pioneer. Of course, use a powerd HSU sub and you wil be in Nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by Gov
    Liz.

I've owned both the Pioneer 1014 and the Outlaw 1070. The Pioneer 1014 in my opinion is a good match for the Ascends. To my ears there is no doubt that the Outlaw sounded better than the Pioneer, but I wouldn't say it gave me the urge to throw away my Pioneer. Despite the sound quality, I ended up returning the Outlaw because of the no-audio bug it has at times (Outlaw recently released another beta firmware upgrade that is supposed to help with that problem).

Quote Originally Posted by sharerware
    Ok. I'm nearly scared off of HKs due to their QC issues as discussed in multiple threads on the AVS forums. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a refurbished Denon AVR2307ci from Dakmart. I like that it converts 1080p from component to HDMI as well as the other features it promises. The price on the refurbished receiver is great, too. I just hope they have it in stock. Before I commit, does anyone have any additional comments for me? If there's a better value, or otherwise, I'd like to hear it.

BTW, thanks to everyone that's given their opinions. The feedback on this forum is terrific!
    The Denon sounds like a good one. Nowadays, I'd look for up-to-date HDMI connectivity in a receiver (v1.2c???), mainly for video pass-thru and to decode the newer audio formats like DD+, TrueHD, etc (although I think they can pass via analog multichannel inputs too). I tend to ignore features like surround processing (e.g. concert hall, stadium, etc) that I've read Yamahas seems to have tons of.

Default Mission Accomplished

I finally made a decision and ordered a Denon 2307ci from SecondAct.com. The price on the refurbished 2307 just couldn't be beat, especially since it's an authorized dealer. Everything about the 2307 just seemed a perfect fit for what I'm trying to do in my HT, and the price easily sealed the deal.

I really appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks very much.

Let us know how you like the refurbed Denon. I'd also like to hear how things went with Second Act. Let us know when it arrives....

Quote Originally Posted by chas
    Let us know how you like the refurbed Denon. I'd also like to hear how things went with Second Act. Let us know when it arrives....
    I received my refurb Denon yesterday from Second Act. It looks (and smelled) brand new. After a time, I was able to hook up my Ascends to the Denon, and play some music. I'll post my thoughts of the combo and I configure everything (and figure out all of these features and options).

BTW, everything about Second Act was great. They answered my emails promptly, and shipped the Denon out quickly.