Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which receiver for Ascends? HK or Denon?

Default Which receiver for Ascends? HK or Denon?

I'm about to order up a 7.1 system from Ascend (HSU sub), and I can't decide on a home theater receiver. I could really use your help. I'm looking at either the Denon AVR887 or the Harman Kardon AVR645.

Help!?
    Last edited by sharerware; 03-08-2007 at 04:58 AM.

Your gonna probably hear more people recommend the HK. However, they appear to have lots of quality control issues these days. Buggy! Thats to bad too.
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Default ah, the great debate

Fact is, you can't say for certain as your ears are different than mine! I will say that a few at Ascend will tell you that they sound really, really good with HK. They also like the fact that they are high current amps but mainly that the sound is good. I have the Denon and I like the sound just fine! Denon are also listed as a high current amp so it really comes down to sound to your ears! Denon are less expensive and have less issues as a whole. The HK looks nicer to many appreciate the sound. Try them both and let your ears tell you what to do. All things being equal, shoot for the more capable receiver for the money in features.

Quote Originally Posted by Gov
    Your gonna probably hear more people recommend the HK. However, they appear to have lots of quality control issues these days. Buggy! Thats to bad too.
    How bad are these issues?

If you visit the other HT websites such as AVS or Audioholics, just do a search and read away. I considered buying an AVR635-Z refurb from HK direct, but have "chickened out" because there are still several reports that the reconditioned stuff still seem to have a lot of "bugs". Its too bad too, cuz I would love to hear if there was a difference between them and my Pioneer.
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

I've had my AVR-435 since the summer of 2005 with little to no issues. I think it froze up and had to be hard-restarted three times or so in the first year, but not since then. I'm happy with it.

That said, I'll probably spring for a Pio Elite unit when I upgrade.
    Jon O.

I've been looking around a good bit today on the net, and am feeling overwhelmed. There seem to be a ton of AV receivers out there.

This is going to be an annoying decision...

Quote Originally Posted by sharerware
    This is going to be an annoying decision...
    Keep in mind that these are all good choices. Choose the unit that has the features you want at a price that you can afford and enjoy. It really should be a stress free decision.

David

you might also want to look at Yamaha receivers. i don't know what the case is currently, but when i was receiver shopping, Yamaha's receivers had all the same features as Denon's for a slightly lower cost. i've been extremely happy with my rxv-2400 from them, which i got for about $200 less than a similarly equipped Denon.

on a similar note, since i bought my receiver, i've always wondered why yamaha doesn't get the same attention that denon does in the receiver market. does anyone have any insight on why this is?
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by drewface
    on a similar note, since i bought my receiver, i've always wondered why yamaha doesn't get the same attention that denon does in the receiver market. does anyone have any insight on why this is?
    Many, many years ago, Yamaha got a reputation as a bright receiver. And like so many things in so many hobbies, once something gets ingrained, it won't ever go away. I had a 1980 Yamaha receiver that was not bright in the least but everywhere I went that didn't sell Yamaha, it was portrayed as overly bright.
    The only thing I know of Yamaha today is it's feature rich.

David