Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who uses a separate amp?

I was wrestling with buying the Emotiva LPA-1.

Interesting article about whether you can really tell the difference in sound quality between amp and receiver.

Best
    RoadWarrior

I note on that comparison. I participated in a blind A-B amp comparison at the RMAF where a tube amp was compared to a SS amp. The differences were very subtle between them and I couldn't say which was which (one person made the point that he knew which he thought was better, but not which was tube or SS). The volume was kept low enough so neither amp would clip, even at the peaks (as mentioned in the linked article above).

After the A-B, they demonstrated (using a 500W SS amp) that the dynamic peaks of music required about 10x the average power. They had a neat setup with one digital power meter showing an average power level and another that was set up to show peaks. It was cool to see the power output in real-time while you were listening. So, listening at a level that used about 20W of power had momentary peaks of 200W - this level was on the upper end of how loud I listen. When they cranked it to about 30W, the peaks were around 300W, but this was too loud for me.

The demo was done by some really smart technical guys and not an amp company.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior

Good read!! Thanx
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

"So, listening at a level that used about 20W of power had momentary peaks of 200W - this level was on the upper end of how loud I listen. When they cranked it to about 30W, the peaks were around 300W, but this was too loud for me."

What were the db levels in your examples?
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's

Quote Originally Posted by Gov
    What were the db levels in your examples?
    I didn't have a meter there, but I would guess 80 and 90db. I'd have to try some listening with a SPL meter in front of me to get a better idea.

In response to the question if there is a difference or improvement in sound with the Ascends with seperates. The answer is definitely yes. You can have a magical (IMO) sound with these speakers. To me magical is very musical (detailed and smooth). I have pushed these speakers with a Marsh A400 and later a Cary Audio Cinema 7 through a Classe SSP30MKII preamp. For movies this was outstanding and for music this was very good. I also owned Dynaudio Contour speaker but they are a level above. I have the 170's as mains and the 340se as center and Atlantic Tech in walls for the back right now. I have had them hooked up with a Marantz reciever which was ok but alittle thin for my taste. I am currently driving them with a HK avr435 and find the sound ok but not with the magic I once had. I am considering replacing it with an Arcam 250 or 300 but am also considering seperates. My ideal set-up would be to to use the Cary Audio Cinema 6 pre and the Primare A30.5 amp. I believe this might bring out the best these speakers can be. At this point I will look to upgrade my speakers.
    Rob

Lots of opinions here ....thnx.....I hope Dave F shares his as well....Dave?
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gov
    Lots of opinions here ....thnx.....I hope Dave F shares his as well....Dave?
    +1

Any insight Dave? :-)

My 340 order hasn't even shipped yet and I'm already considering upgrading my receiver

Quote Originally Posted by jsotelo
    +1Any insight Dave? :-)
    My 340 order hasn't even shipped yet and I'm already considering upgrading my receiver
    I don't think you'll find Dave F. expressing an opinion on this. You'll find folks who are passionate about a particular brand but it's not quantifiable. They're all good and we each have our personal likes and dislikes. If it's not possible to use your own ears to make a decision, just buy from a company with a good return policy on the off chance that the receiver doesn't meet your expectations.

David