Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who uses a separate amp?

Default Who uses a separate amp?

Just curious as to whether or not Ascend owners that have a mid-priced or higher a/v receiver use a separate amp and why they do. It doesn't matter 2, 3 or 5 channel amp, I'd like to hear from all owners. I feel that the Ascends are fairly easy speakers to drive and really don't benefit from the additional power. I am also curious and wonder if any Ascend owners went from an A/V receiver to separates and noticed a difference.

Thanx
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

I use an Outlaw 950/750 combo with Ascends (340cSE and four 170s - fronts SE, rears classic). I bought it largely because I wanted a hefty, reliable amp that I could use for years with any variety of speakers. The combo sounds different than my H/K AVR-520, but it was more than just an amp swap - it was a dedicated pre-pro too. I'd say I can hear some more detail and it's a bit less 'warm', but it's hard to say since this isn't something you can A/B switch (at least not without equipment that I don't own).

Gov - I see on AVS that you mentioned you had an Emotiva LPA-1 and returned it. You heard no difference with the amp?

Well, I did not actually hear any difference in SQ. I believe it did give me some more headroom, but I am not sure. I don't know, sometimes I think I didn't give the LPA-1 more of a chance. Other times, I feel that an external amp maybe is not necessary with the Ascends. I don't really know. I was considering trying out another amp. Would it be fair to say the Ascends are an easy load to drive with a decent receiver? This is why I posted this question, "who uses an amp with their Ascends, and why?"
    Last edited by Gov; 03-04-2007 at 06:06 AM.
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's

I had a Pio 1014 and used an Outlaw monoblock on the center channel. I do think it helped a bit with HT dialog. I am now using a Yamaha receiver with the monoblock but have considered the LPA-1.

I have a Denon 3805, and i flip flop with a mcintosh 2505, and a Jbl Urei amp pushing my left and right 340 se's. The denon is supposedly 120wpc, but I prefer the sound and power of the Mcintosh (50wpc) and Jbl (75wpc). I listen to music primarily in 2 channel (pure direct on the denon) Too this old mans ears, it sounds better with an amp, but thats just my opinion.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by chas
    I had a Pio 1014 and used an Outlaw monoblock on the center channel. I do think it helped a bit with HT dialog. I am now using a Yamaha receiver with the monoblock but have considered the LPA-1.
    Were you having trouble hearing HT dialog without the monoblock when using the 1014? If so, at what levels? Also, were you happy with the 1014's performance at or near reference levels with the Ascends?
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's

No I wouldn't say I was having trouble hearing dialog with the Pioneer and Ascends, just that it seemed more clear with the amp on the center channel. Dialog also seemed more clear when I tried the Outlaw 1070 receiver - which is only rated at 65 watts per channel but sounded more powerful than the Pioneer.

Also, were you happy with the 1014's performance at or near reference levels with the Ascends?
    To be honest I rarely (if ever) listen at reference level. Overall I was satisfied with the performance of the 1014tx with the Ascends.

Chas,

Thanks for your input. Hopefully others will chime in on this
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's