Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who uses a separate amp?

Quote Originally Posted by ajt976
    Is anyone using or have heard the 340SE's with say a Parasound A21 or A23? These are the two amps that I'm looking into. I'm currently running all 340's up front with an HK 635. It does an great job now, but I'm curious to see what the 340's will sound like driven by a decent quality separate amp.
    those are suppose to be outstanding amps, but from I have read, can get pretty warm(heat, not sound).
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    those are suppose to be outstanding amps, but from I have read, can get pretty warm(heat, not sound).
    Hmm...maybe I'll have to look into some type of cooling system. They've got some gnarly looking heat sinks on the sides though, they run the entire side of the amp.
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by ajt976
    Hmm...maybe I'll have to look into some type of cooling system. They've got some gnarly looking heat sinks on the sides though, they run the entire side of the amp.
    I am sure those heatsinks will be fine.
    -curtis

Gov - did you end up getting an amp?

Yep....I picked up the LPA-1 and it is working out great!! I mainly got it for more headroom and piece of mind. At times, I really like to push the SPL's up over the 100db mark and I feel better letting the LPA-1 do it.
    I spoke to "Lonnie" at Emotiva. He was one of the engineers that worked on the LPA-1. He says it can do some amazing things and was very conservatively rated.
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

I'm glad you're enjoying the amp this time. Sometimes we second guess ourselves too much and ruin the fun.

Thanks Gov....keep enjoying the set-up! I recently sold my 1014 and really miss it at times.

My very first post here. I have been in the "planning" phase of my HT for some time. Our kitchen and the family room (where the HT will be built) were demo'ed two weeks ago and remodeling should be all done by end of April.

After much research, I intend on buying the 340SE's for LCR and hope they fit my needs. They will be paired w/ 2 sets of in-ceiling surrounds (I know they are not the most ideal) and Hsu VTF-3 MKIII powered sub. Up until this week, my mind was set on buying an AVR (Marantz SR8001) but have recently become concerned about some of the issues current owners have been posting.

I was reading on the AVS forum about the Emotiva pre/pro and amps and I'm convinced this will be the direction I will go. I came here to get opinions about separates and more specifically the LMC-1 + LPA-1 and saw this post. The opinions here were very helpful.

Hopefully these components will match up well.

Default Re: Who uses a separate amp?

I just purchased a parasound HCA 855A 85x5.For the most part I'm really happy with my reciever, an HK AVR 240, however,one of it's greatest strength's is also the reason at some point I may have to replace it.Going through reviews I noticed the 245, and 247, although nearly identical to the 240 in other respects, were rated lower for what seemed to be mostly video processing issues (lots of them HDMI related), or so it seemed, for video processing issues.The 240 has no HDMI so the spotlight stayed on it's original purpose......sound reproduction.Seems like there's a lot of this about in general.Because of things like this, format wars, integration of sound and video processing, I've been looking harder at seperate compnents.