Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LFE and your Ascends/setup

i don't have a sub yet, but i have experimented with the LFE settings on my yamaha receiver a little bit. from what i gather from this thread, it works the same way as the denon.

in my current setup, the auto-setup feature ends up setting all the speakers to large, meaning that when it runs its tests, they all output a wide enough range of frequencies in the receiver's opinion. (i normally run the auto-setup and then make a few tweeks based on my ears alone, don't have an SPL meter and Avia disc yet, i'm getting there, though) the bass sounds really nice with all the speakers set to large (remember, i don't have a sub yet). when i go through and switch some of the speakers to small, the bass takes a huge hit, even if it is just the surrounds.

should i not be running these speakers as large? i don't think i ever put an excessive amount of power through them, but i do like to turn up the volume at times, (mainly for movies)
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by drewface
    should i not be running these speakers as large? i don't think i ever put an excessive amount of power through them, but i do like to turn up the volume at times, (mainly for movies)
    Without a sub, you definitely want to running large.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Without a sub, you definitely want to running large.
    alright, that's what i thought. this thread sort of got me worried that i could damage the speakers by running them as large, even though i read a lot about this sort of thing in the past and decided that i would be ok. it was mainly the 170s i was worried about. thanks
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Default true

I know Mag Neato,

"I thought of this thread over the weekend while watching a movie, so I checked the LFE setting on my Denon 885/2105. I had it set to "NORM". I switched it to "+ MAIN". From what I observed I thought the bass and overall clarity improved somewhat. If this is the correct setup for proper bass management, Denon's manuals need a big overhaul"

Overhaul is what they were telling me. I would still verify with them in person (phone) but this is what I was told. I don't want to be responsible for anything going awry... I still find it strange!
    Last edited by audibleconnoisseur; 02-26-2007 at 11:15 AM.

I have my Denon 2807 set to LFE+mains and sounds great. Hopefully this is right. I actually have another question though about my Denon setup. The default settings had the center at 60 hz, mains at 80hz, surrounds at 120 hz, and surr backs set to 90hz. Is this right? Or should I just set them all to 80hz? Thanks!

I don't know which speakers you have but I would set the 340's at 80 or 60, 170's at 80, 200's at 80 or 100. Try 80 all the way around and see what you like. Auto setups don't do a very good job. Speaker frequency response determines crossovers not the receivers auto setup.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by scottyh
    I have my Denon 2807 set to LFE+mains and sounds great. Hopefully this is right. I actually have another question though about my Denon setup. The default settings had the center at 60 hz, mains at 80hz, surrounds at 120 hz, and surr backs set to 90hz. Is this right? Or should I just set them all to 80hz? Thanks!
    The different XO settings for your speakers are fine, as long as it is slightly above their lowest rated HZ. Example: for the 200's a 100HZ XO would probably be best, 170's an 80HZ and the 340's 60HZ or 80HZ. This is a general rule and may be different in your application
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Default curiosity

I have a Denon 1905 and I only am asked for one XO setting... I can use 60Hz, let's say, but not a mixture of different XO's for different speakers (mains, surround, rear, etc.). Is this the norm to have only one XO setting, or a multiple of settings for each set of speakers in your system?

I can only speak for the receiver I have which is a Rotel and I can select a crossover for fronts,center surrounds and sub.
    Jeff

Most mid-fi receivers have a single global crossover for all the speakers. Some allow you to set different crossover points for sets of speakers such as L/R, center, and surrounds.
    -curtis