Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LFE and your Ascends/setup

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Yep - this is how most receivers work, although not all of them have the LFE+main terminology. Many just have large vs small and a crossover setting. In general, small is the way to go, but when it comes down to it, use whatever you think sounds best (of course, there is a risk of blowing out a driver if you run bookshelf speakers full range to high volumes).

I think the Denon is the exception, not the rule.

Normally in a receiver, bass from speakers set to Small gets sent to the sub/lfe. With all speakers set to Small, the only option for the sub is on/lfe. If any speakers are set to Large, then on the sub the options are LFE (lfe and re-routed bass from speakers set to small) or LFE+Mains or Both (LFE, plus bass from speakers set to Small AND Large).

At least that's how it works on my HK. There is no LFE+Mains option available unless some of the speakers are set to Large. That doubles up the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by audibleconnoisseur
    I have a Denon 1905 and I only am asked for one XO setting... I can use 60Hz, let's say, but not a mixture of different XO's for different speakers (mains, surround, rear, etc.). Is this the norm to have only one XO setting, or a multiple of settings for each set of speakers in your system?

My HK AVR240 has independent crossover settings. I can keep this global for all sound modes, or do independent so the settings can be different for each sound mode.