Thread: LFE and your Ascends/setup

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation LFE and your Ascends/setup

All,

I just spoke with Denon about a few things and this was brought to my attention. I am posting here b/c it is the most read area and will apply to all of you with Denon and Ascend or other speakers. Maybe you know and maybe you don't, but I didn't and was a little surprised as well as this explains the mild, quiet pop sound I have heard with the HSU disk at the 16Hz and 20Hz tones... please read on and pay attention (if you know this, sorry, but I didn't and they agreed that the manuals do a poor job of explaining but coming from Japan, apparently something got lost in translation)...

I am explaing this as our Ascends (340SE's) drop to 45 but a lot of LFE is produced here and lower...

When using DENON and setting the LFE to your sub, connect as usual, LFE from receiver to LFE in on sub. Now, set ALL of the speakers to small that you are using and your desired choice of crossover Hz (60, 80, 100, etc.). NOTE that if you are using LARGE speakers, ALL LFE WILL GO TO ALL SPEAKERS SET TO LARGE REGARDLESS OF THE CROSSOVER SETTING FOR THE SUB!!! They said that if the setting is set to LFE + mains and the speakers to small, THEN & ONLY THEN is the crossover going to put all of the LFE into the sub and none to the Ascends (or whatever you own). I was under the impression from reading the manual that LFE+mains meant that LFE was going to the sub and the mains, it is in fact the other way around.

So when you are setting up, note that the crossover is set to your choice, 60Hz, 80Hz, whatever, and the sub should be set to LFE + mains and ALL other speakers to small so you are running all LFE to your sub only. If you set any of them to large, by default they will receive the full LFE from the receiver even with the crossover set at your choice! If you knew this great, if not, be warned and make the change. Obviously if you want the LFE to your mains, you will set it up this way but for those of us with Ascends, they can not handle the full spectrum so we need to use the above as a guide!

I strongly suggest anyone with DENON call to confirm so you know for certain. This is just what they told me about my 1905 and the DENON product!
    Last edited by audibleconnoisseur; 02-23-2007 at 09:13 AM.