Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So curious after last night...

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Those numbers are for ONE speaker.
    Two or 3 speakers played at the same decibel level is only slightly louder than one speaker played at that level. Certainly dont suggest its additive or even anything close to that.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by kinggimp82
    im just curious what clipping sounds like. basically just distortion? would clipping be a small threat if running 170 x-overed @ 100 hz?
    I think it would be a small threat since most of the hard work will be done by the sub in that case..

Default i agree

but the point is that if there is a crossover @ 60 or 80Hz... NOTHING should pass through below this point to the speakers. that is why it is there. i would be pretty pissed if they messed up b/c the receiver didn't catch the lfe below the crossover. anyone else have any thoughts? or, have any of you been able to hear your volume increase or decrease through your sub or speakers if you hold the volume know down or up?

Quote Originally Posted by audibleconnoisseur
    but the point is that if there is a crossover @ 60 or 80Hz... NOTHING should pass through below this point to the speakers. that is why it is there. i would be pretty pissed if they messed up b/c the receiver didn't catch the lfe below the crossover. anyone else have any thoughts? or, have any of you been able to hear your volume increase or decrease through your sub or speakers if you hold the volume know down or up?
    The crossover is not a brinkwall filter.....so if you cross at 60hz or 80hz, depending on the crossover slope and volume level, the speakers will still get some information as low as 30hz...or lower.
    -curtis

Default can it hurt?

Anything that can/will hurt them if they are up LOUD?

Very doubtful.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    The crossover is not a brinkwall filter.....so if you cross at 60hz or 80hz, depending on the crossover slope and volume level, the speakers will still get some information as low as 30hz...or lower.
    What is a brink wall? Is that a special kind of filter?

Its usually 12dB/octave, and in some better cases 18 or 24dB per octave.

So if its set to 80hz and you got 24dB/oct., then at 40hz its down 24dB. Thats for the high pass filter.

The sub uses a low pass filter, which filters the freqs above one point. Again, usually 12dB, 24dB in some cases. So if you set it to 80hz, it will be down 24dB at 160hz.

I was probably thinking of money at the time and "Brinks".

Good thing bikeman didn't catch that.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by azanon
    Two or 3 speakers played at the same decibel level is only slightly louder than one speaker played at that level. Certainly dont suggest its additive or even anything close to that.

If the two speakers are right next to each other, the volume will be 6dB higher than one speaker. If they are several feet apart it will still be 4-5dB louder than a single speaker. Now if you add a third speaker, that will ad another 1-2dB. So you are looking at around 5-7dB louder compared to one speaker. That's pretty significant considering that you would have to quadruple the amount of power going to a single speaker to get that kind of increase in volume.

curtis: too bad I happened to like the term brinkwall. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mike^S
    If the two speakers are right next to each other, the volume will be 6dB higher than one speaker. If they are several feet apart it will still be 4-5dB louder than a single speaker. Now if you add a third speaker, that will ad another 1-2dB. So you are looking at around 5-7dB louder compared to one speaker. That's pretty significant considering that you would have to quadruple the amount of power going to a single speaker to get that kind of increase in volume.
    Wow, thats about the most inconsistent math I've seen in my life

Sound pressure level, doubles every 3dB. So if you double the speakers, you double the SPL, so it should increase by 3dB at most. Why/how 5-7 dB?