Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 340 to 340SE upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by azanon
    If it went without saying, then why did you waste yet another post to state it again?

Who's wasting posts? You told the OP that the SE's weren't worth upgrading to because of a false comparison. I said as much.
    Jon O.

I prefer my voice attached to the TV; not coming from the side of the room i'm sitting on. When you phantom, that's what happens. Even sitting in the center though, voices are not as attached.
    I prefer the same as you. Our experience is different. I'll go with mine, you go with yours.

The HTM-200 uses the same tweater as the old cbm 170, and has wider horizontal dispersion than a 170 used as a center. I also have a sub for bass. So for home theatre, the difference is hardly noticeable.
    The difference is quite noticable to me. Our set-ups are most likely quite different as is our perception. There is no universal answer here. We're both correct. For us.

David

Quote Originally Posted by MrTomasulo
    To me, the biggest improvement in the SEs over the Classics had nothing to do with the bass, but with the better tweeter. SEs are clearer and more open.
    I agree there is a lot more improvement in the SE than just the bass extension. I'd say there is more overall detail and the SE is a bit more natural sounding too.

Default my three cents

I have not heard the prior classics but have the 340SE's and the 200's. Taking into consideration that a prior post mentioned the classics and the 200's have the same tweeter, I would venture to guess there is a noticable difference in sound and clairty, as well as smoother highs. I like the 200's laid back but quality sound. I love the 340SE's brighter and clearer/crisper presentation. I can not speak to the bass extension of any as I have nothing to compare to and 340 to 200 would not be fair regardless...

Point is I think the 340SE's are the way to go if you like that crisp, detailed presentation more than the smooth laid back sound.

It probably matters for audio professionals. If i were being completely honest about it, i couldnt tell a difference.

Are you guys sure you could pass a "grill-on" a/b test between an old 340 and an SE and tell which is which? I probably couldnt. Heck, i'm liable to like the old one more if i were to do that.
    Absolutely. My girlfriend and I acutally did exactly that, and it's pretty easy to tell. She noticed the differences even more than I did, to tell the truth. The Classics sound much more 'muffled' in comparison to the SEs to us.

The first week we had the SEs I was watching "Collateral" and a gunshot in the movie literally scared the bejeezus out of my girlfriend who was in the kitchen, as she said she literally thought a gun had gone off in our living room it sounded so real. That type of thing had never happened before.

Well, I got my new SE's and they sound incredible. I think the cost was well worth the sound performance increase. I like them so much I sold my 170 classics (rears) and have 170SE's on order. The biggest thing I've noticed is that my ears dont fatigue like they did with the classics at high volumes. YMMV!

Talking

Is the upgrade still available (to go from the classics to the SE)? I know I probably have an e-mail from James or Dave somewhere but I'm at work and can't check my personal e-mail. *sigh* I need to stop getting into hobbies that are out of my price range. lol

Default Buzz kill...

Have you read about the newest Sierra line? Might be time for another immediate upgrade!?

Quote Originally Posted by audibleconnoisseur
    Have you read about the newest Sierra line? Might be time for another immediate upgrade!?
    indeed, but it's not like i would scrap my 340's either ya' know. :P I guess I could "pull a Curtis" and give my 340's to my parents if I decide to upgrade to the Sierra's.

*Edit*
    Nevermind...sorry parents but i have no money, and apparently there might be a trade-up option available. :P
    Last edited by Johnal; 05-18-2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: new info provided in different thread