Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 340 to 340SE upgrade

Regarding crossover spillover - run a sweep from AVIA from 200Hz to 20Hz (at a normal volume level) and lightly leave your finger on the rubber surround on your left or right speaker. With my crossover set at 80Hz I can feel the cone reacting way, way down into the 40s (maybe 30s IIRC). It surprised me.

Just Gee Wiz for ya
    Jon O.

Default I have a question on this as well...

I played the CD that came with the HSU sub and when it hits the 16Hz tones, I can hear a clicking or VERY quiet popping through the 340SE's. Thing is that I have the 340SE's hooked to the Denon 1905 and the D1905 was set for the mains to small and sub to yes, as well as crossover at 60Hz. I also use 80Hz depending. Still, one would think that when D1905 is set to small for mains, sub yes @ 60Hz, NO signals would go to the mains that are less than 60Hz. I am concerned that this might be or become an issue. Anyone else heard of this or can you help explain why this might be the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    Regarding crossover spillover - run a sweep from AVIA from 200Hz to 20Hz (at a normal volume level) and lightly leave your finger on the rubber surround on your left or right speaker. With my crossover set at 80Hz I can feel the cone reacting way, way down into the 40s (maybe 30s IIRC). It surprised me.

Just Gee Wiz for ya
    I dont doubt that, but my point was the sub is still picking up the same sound below 80hz (since you crossed it over), so having duplicated sound is probably just as much a bad thing as it is good.

Now for sub-less systems, i probably would upgrade. 10hz at that level would be a lot, if you have nothing else to pick it up.

Remember, we were told that Dr. HSU went with mere HTM-200s due to wanting to adhere more closely with Dolby specifications because the sub could handle the rest.

To answer the other guy, i now have an HTM-200 center sitting directly on my LCD. I took a couple of pics in the sticky above. Now its definitely a downgrade from the old 340, but i much prefer it over "phantoming" the 340SE L/R.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by audibleconnoisseur
    I played the CD that came with the HSU sub and when it hits the 16Hz tones, I can hear a clicking or VERY quiet popping through the 340SE's. Thing is that I have the 340SE's hooked to the Denon 1905 and the D1905 was set for the mains to small and sub to yes, as well as crossover at 60Hz. I also use 80Hz depending. Still, one would think that when D1905 is set to small for mains, sub yes @ 60Hz, NO signals would go to the mains that are less than 60Hz. I am concerned that this might be or become an issue. Anyone else heard of this or can you help explain why this might be the case?
    Clicking or quiet popping doesn't sound normal, although I guess it could be noise in the recording.

However, with a crossover set at 60Hz, you WILL get plenty of sound below that out of your mains - even set to "small" and sub "yes" - because it's a sloped crossover, not a brickwall filter. The mains should be -12dB down or something at 60Hz, and will drop -12dB per octave below that, or something (numbers could be wrong, but you get the point). Try doing what I said above - run a sweep down from 200Hz and lightly leave your finger on a rubber surround on one of your L/R mains, you'll be surprised how low you feel movement.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by azanon

To answer the other guy, i now have an HTM-200 center sitting directly on my LCD. I took a couple of pics in the sticky above. Now its definitely a downgrade from the old 340, but i much prefer it over "phantoming" the 340SE L/R.
    Doesn't this go in the category of, "duh" ? (not meant in an offensive manner, however) Of course the cheaper, smaller, less extravagant HTM-200 is not going to sound as good as a big ole CMT-340SE. That's terrible to say there isn't a difference between the 340 classics and the SE's based on that comparison - it's just not apples to apples.

Edit - my comments apply to using 340SE's with a phatom center in comparison to having a 340 classic center, as well. Still not apples.
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 02-15-2007 at 02:28 PM.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by azanon
    I'm used to a 340C but just for the heck of it, I substituted one of my 200's as a center. I'd prefer phantoming to using the 200 as a center. I think the 200's make good L/R speakers when used with a decent sub and they are very good as surrounds but they just don't do it for me as a center. 340's have spoiled me and I'd rather go without than use a 200. If I wasn't used to the 340C, I might have a different opinion.

David

To me, the biggest improvement in the SEs over the Classics had nothing to do with the bass, but with the better tweeter. SEs are clearer and more open.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    Doesn't this go in the category of, "duh" ? (not meant in an offensive manner, however) Of course the cheaper, smaller, less extravagant HTM-200 is not going to sound as good as a big ole CMT-340SE. That's terrible to say there isn't a difference between the 340 classics and the SE's based on that comparison - it's just not apples to apples.

Edit - my comments apply to using 340SE's with a phatom center in comparison to having a 340 classic center, as well. Still not apples.
    If it went without saying, then why did you waste yet another post to state it again?
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    I'm used to a 340C but just for the heck of it, I substituted one of my 200's as a center. I'd prefer phantoming to using the 200 as a center. I think the 200's make good L/R speakers when used with a decent sub and they are very good as surrounds but they just don't do it for me as a center. 340's have spoiled me and I'd rather go without than use a 200. If I wasn't used to the 340C, I might have a different opinion.

David
    I prefer my voice attached to the TV; not coming from the side of the room i'm sitting on. When you phantom, that's what happens. Even sitting in the center though, voices are not as attached.

The HTM-200 uses the same tweater as the old cbm 170, and has wider horizontal dispersion than a 170 used as a center. I also have a sub for bass. So for home theatre, the difference is hardly noticeable. For 6 channel music or DPL II music, obviously that's another matter all-together.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by MrTomasulo
    To me, the biggest improvement in the SEs over the Classics had nothing to do with the bass, but with the better tweeter. SEs are clearer and more open.
    It probably matters for audio professionals. If i were being completely honest about it, i couldnt tell a difference.

Are you guys sure you could pass a "grill-on" a/b test between an old 340 and an SE and tell which is which? I probably couldnt. Heck, i'm liable to like the old one more if i were to do that.
    Last edited by azanon; 02-20-2007 at 05:37 AM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player