Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 340 to 340SE upgrade

Default 340 to 340SE upgrade

Anyone here done this? Would you say it was worth it? What sound differences can I expect? I currently have 340's as my L and R with a 340SE for my center. 170's (non-SE) are my surrounds.

Thanks,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by airs
    Anyone here done this? Would you say it was worth it? What sound differences can I expect? I currently have 340's as my L and R with a 340SE for my center. 170's (non-SE) are my surrounds.
    Yep, I did it. The SE's are different but not night and day different. They do go a good 10db lower in my room. I don't use a sub for music so this is important to me.
    With Ascend's return policy, I'd encourage anyone to A/B the Classics and the SE's. I can see some folks still prefering the Classics but I'm guessing that most will opt for the SE's. If you have a larger listening area or sit more than 10 feet from your speakers, I'm pretty sure the SE's will get the nod.
    Dave F. has posted the differences and I really can't add anything of value to that.

David

10dB lower huh?
    Jon O.

Default yep

Yes, that 10Hz makes a big difference! I am glad mine drop into the 40's, that means I don't have to use the sub for most music...
    Last edited by audibleconnoisseur; 02-13-2007 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    10dB lower huh?
    One should not write and do work at the same time. Brad and Curtis have caught me on some real blunders when I've been writing from my desk. Welcome to the club and I'm sure you won't be the last member.

David

haha, it's all good. Was just a little funny

For our casual readers - he meant Hz, not dB.
    Jon O.

Found some more posts by DaveF and decided to bite the bullet

Default happy

you won't be disappointed! it is not the ringing bass that you may get from other speakers, but punchy and tight, as well as smooth on the high end. heads up, break them in before you really "get on them" or you will be making a second purchase!

FWIW, I found myself having some fun two nights ago at the speakers expense and with my Denon 1905, was pushing the speakers to peaks of 112dB! That is SERIOUSLY loud and I don't recommend doing this if you have an underpowered amplifier but the point is that they play very clean and smooth at this level and I sustained that dB for about three minutes during a particular Josh Groban song. The power in this man's voice at this level can be astonishing. They will play loud an proud or demure at your leisure, just learn quickly how far NOT to push them - then walk right up to that line all the time and have some fun

Let us know what you think but remember to play about 20-30 hours at moderate room levels before you open them up to test them!

Quote Originally Posted by airs

Thanks,

Eric
    Would I say its worth it? No.

Off all the Ascends Ive owned so far, the one i enjoyed the most was my former 340C (non-SE) that i had to sell due to going from a CRT to an LCD. Forcing the vocals out of that speaker produced a beautiful, room filling sound.

I eventually "upgraded" my 170 regular L/R to 340 SE L/R and was thinking i'm going to regain at least the "vocal" power of my old 340 Center. To my ameteur ears, that just didn't happen.

So i didn't compare the two directly, but i can say it must not be that big a difference.

Finally, if you use a H/K like me, you're optimal crossover point for either speaker will be 60hz, since the SE's cant do 40hz at -3 db, so the new capabilities of the SE become mostly academic (though i acknowledge there is minor "spillover" of sound below crossover, it would be picked up by the sub regardless).
    Last edited by azanon; 02-13-2007 at 03:22 PM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

So Azanon, are you saying you no longer have a center channel?